Information on sherman command tanks?

David I

Hi All,

I've been browsing through a few books tonight, and have come across pictures which include Shermans which have an extra aeriel next to the lap gunner, lockers on the rear of the hull (Lee/Grant style?) and what is possibly framing for an awning stored on the rear hull. They also had what I assume were reels of telphone wire on the front of their hulls.

Two of the pictures suggest that they were ordinary tanks but used by the Major in charge of a Squadron of tanks, while another has two sitting back to back with each other.

Just wondering what they were used for, and how different they were to standard gun tanks.

Any thoughts?

Dave.

This one's labelled as a Command Tank.

727254.jpg

13th/18th Hussars, 8th Armoured Brigade, near the River Waal at Nijmegen, 15 October 1944.

Appears to have an ariel on the front, but no other, visible, extra kit.

sherman2.jpg

The late Lord Carver's M4A1 (Sherman II) Command Tank, 1st RTR.

Turret appears to have a few extra ariels & plenty of extra boxes on the hull.

There is a photo of one of these tanks in 'Villers Bocage through the lens' and it shows the fake gun they had. The gun was made of wood to make the tank look like a normal one, but giving more room in the turret.

Thanks for the replies. i didnt realise that the had so many different roles.

I take it that the command tank would be the variant which squadron commanders used?

I take it they just had extra radios?

Did I mention that it was British variants I was asking about?

thanks

Dave.

Thanks for the replies. i didnt realise that the had so many different roles. I take it that the command tank would be the variant which squadron commanders used?

I take it they just had extra radios? Did I mention that it was British variants I was asking about?

thanks

Dave.

Yes, the command tank was used by Brigade commanders, not sure whether sqdn commanders had one. They had an extra 19 set in the front rh sponson, replacing a 75mm ammo rack, with an extra A set aerial in the glacis mount.

The OP was used by the divisional Artillery and had a dummy gun with a 19 set, a 19 HP set and probably other sets for RA nets.

The Rear link had a 19 set HP for longer range comms with Brigade and or Div HQ.

This is all from memory so I stand by to be corrected!