Coach

LoggyDriver

Well I've just finished a weeks training for my Cat D Coach Licence. Work put me through it as we use a coach on certain jobs we do. The test was today and I'm really chuffed as I passed my test with 0 (Zero) Minors, so got a clean test sheet. :D

That is now a "Full House" on my driving licence apart from Cat H, but I'm not going to bother with that as I'd never use it.

Arriva started a few years back bringing drivers from the Eastern block and paying penuts. The rest of the big groups got in on the act. As a director of First said to me 'We had 180 Poles over in Wales. We kept them here for two years then had to send them home. We couldn't teach them enough English to operate the buses safley'. A lot of small firms tried it, then had their O licences pulled for saftey violations and acident rates. The result has been the ***useless waste of space called C.P.C.

To be fair not all Polish drivers are bad. Just to quote one of the guys who went on the recruting trip 'We were very well treated, the council even changed the whole town to right hand drive for the day. I went on one round , and have never been so terrified in my life. I spent the rest of the day watching from the top of the church tower'. :D

Arriva started a few years back bringing drivers from the Eastern block and paying penuts........

Arriva also got caught out for not importing some of them properly. i.e. passports, national insurance numbers etc. had to go and explain themselves to the Traffic Commissioner down at Eastbourne

Well done - is it much different to HGV, out of interest? I've idly wondered why the two aren't interchangeable.

Andy

Thanks a lot for your best wishes guys!!:-D

Hello Andy. It's not much different. The last test I did was my Motorbike Licence back in 1997. You have to do the Driver Theory and Hazard Perception tests at a DSA centre before you can do the Practical. Because it's a new licence category the CPC needs to be done before you can drive commercially. I haven't done this yet, so although I have the licence I can't drive until I've done the CPC. Even though the CPC is one and the same for HGV and PSV, my "Gradfather Rights" on HGV are not interchangable.

They aren't much different, it's like driving a big rigid. It's strange to start with on tight turns, as the driving position is well forward of the front axle. So when turning tight left you actually drive over the path or verge without the front wheels mounting the kerb. I presume you don't get Coach when you get your HGV purely bacause of money. The DSA would loose a lot of money if they did that.

Edited by LoggyDriver

Well done, congratulations.

I was reading in a newspaper that you don't have to speak English to drive a Bus and the test is done with an interpreter. Is this correct?

I wouldn't know mate. I would have thought you need to understand the examiner and the only other person allowed in the Coach at the time of test is the Instructor who gave the lessons, should you wish him to be there.

I presume you don't get Coach when you get your HGV purely bacause of money. The DSA would loose a lot of money if they did that.

As you say, I suspect that's the only real reason. I got my HGV2 back in the early 1980's when driving Outside Broadcast trucks round Manchester and have wondered about the difference ever since!

Andy

You only need a CPC, IF your MAIN job is driving. If you are employed as an odd job, who once a day drives a coach you won't need a CPC. The whole thing is a waste of space, so worth finding if an exclusion applies, it won't improve your driving.

If you drive once a day you WILL need a CPC. Any work you do commercially requires a drivers CPC. Have a look here for all the information. Download the information sheet for exemptions.

http://www.drivercpc-periodictraining.org/en/what-is-driver-cpc/