Camper vans and towing

woa2

I had an idea recently and thought you knowledgeable people could help me.

Could I tow a trailer with my Ford WOA2 on it behind a Camper van? WOA2 is about 1.5/1.75 tons plus a trailer 0.5 tons. No, I haven't got a trailer yet or a Camper van and this is just a question as to the viability of the idea. At present I drive to shows in a 1944 vehicle on dangerous roads, and sleep in a tent. My Wife dislikes tents and I am not getting any younger, hence the idea. What do you think of the idea, what does a camper cost and can it tow a trailer? What camper van would be best, a Ford based one?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

A camper will tow, as there are many that have small cars dragged behind them, i would say with the weight of your vehicle plus trailer would exceed the maximum authorised mass of the camper, as roughly guessing most normal campers are about 3 tons ish, unladen, and MAM is probably 5 tons. ( Though this depends on the base vehicle, engine, axles body etc..) Adding people, baggage, fuel, supplies etc all adds weight and I would say it would be a bit too much. This is just off the top of my head, so it may not be quite accurate.

Simon

I very much doubt that there is a camper van on the market, apart from truck based ones, which would be plated to tow the weight you are contemplating. the only vehicle that comes to mind as suitable would be a Land Rover 110 or 127 on which you could fit one of the camper van type pods. All Land rovers with the exception of the Freelander and new Range Rover Evoque are plated to tow 3.5t with overrun brakes or 4t with a hydraulicly braked or air braked trailer. You would of course have to be careful regarding Gross train weight.

I think they've got it.

You'd need a camper that was heavy enough to have a heavy enough weight limit for your Ford + trailer, and there won't be many that don't come with extra license requirements.

There are a lot of legal issues about using tow dollies and drawbars for anything other than local emergency recovery too, so you are thinking the right way, just not sure you have the weights to hand.

An off-the wall solution would be to find something like a used beavertail recovery unit and drop a caravan / camper van body on it, while still leaving space to put the Ford in the back. You could load, drive, unload, and then have the inside set up as a dropdown camper. Much less hassle.