NBC Threat levels

chevpol

Question

4 answers to this question

Ok folks,

another question, when putting up a NBC Threat level board, what are the levels (i have seen piccys of boards/sighns saying low and green)?

Mark

As I recall (but I am probably wrong).

GREEN: No NBC threat, NBC kit carried.

AMBER: NBC attack possible, kit worn less respirator.

RED: NBC attack imminent: full protection.

ISTR there was a state BLACK but I cannot remember what it was. Maybe BLACK was what I have called RED and RED was "NBC attack has taken place, working in NBC conditions".

I think it was Spearpoint 80 (might have been ET 83) where the troops stayed at NBC Amber for days and days and days in the pouring rain and noddy suits started to disintegrate, so the GOC decreed that although Division (Corps?) were at NBC Amber, noddy suits were not to be worn.

Every exercise we spent several days at NBC Amber, purely for the embuggerance factor. Could have been worse: we could have been wearing Soviet gimp suits.

As I recall (but I am probably wrong).GREEN: No NBC threat, NBC kit carried.AMBER: NBC attack possible, kit worn less respirator.RED: NBC attack imminent: full protection.ISTR there was a state BLACK but I cannot remember what it was. Maybe BLACK was what I have called RED and RED was "NBC attack has taken place, working in NBC conditions".I think it was Spearpoint 80 (might have been ET 83) where the troops stayed at NBC Amber for days and days and days in the pouring rain and noddy suits started to disintegrate, so the GOC decreed that although Division (Corps?) were at NBC Amber, noddy suits were not to be worn.Every exercise we spent several days at NBC Amber, purely for the embuggerance factor. Could have been worse: we could have been wearing Soviet gimp suits.
Hi thier,I seem to recall that NBC threat was described as a "state" one two three etc, each state having a particular level of dress, (have to dig out some information on what exactly) Any body got a "survive to fight" handy ??The colour banding sounds more like the security levels described at the gates of establishment known as the "bikini" levels, red as mentioned in previous post being, near as dammit, incomming and stand too, as red was a confirmed threat to the establishment.Regards Tim

Yup, the old Bikini Levels:

Black (Normal)

Black-Special (Heightened awareness)

Amber (General substantiated threat to MOD)

Red (Direct threat to establishment)

We used to use them, but that system has been binned in recent years by the UKAEA, and we're onto another idea........ :cool2: again........

Alec.

Edited by Rangie
Tweaks

Yeah, I agree with the Green, Amber, Red signs, crumbs it was soooo long ago. I think I actually have an NBC manual somewhere if anyone wants it, and if I can find the little blighter. If anyone shows an interest, then I'll show some by looking for it!