quick question

2 para

dont know if this is the right place to post this if not im sorry and please delete ,

i am at the moment going through a period of financially difficulty and am thinking of selling my medals ,the question is how much are they worth ,i don't fancy going to a medal dealer as i know they have to also make a living . i anybody could roughly give me a ball park figure i would be very grateful, the medals are

south atlantic medal with rosette

northern ireland general service medal

good conduct /long service medal

accummulated campaign service medal

nato bosnia medal

might even sell my cherry beret

many thanks steve

Not an expert on this Steve - but a quick scan over Ebay shows anything between £5 - £25 per medal with the S.Atlantic and N.Ireland being worth closer to the £25 mark.

Some seem to sell for much more and some don't seem to sell at 99p.:confused:

Always tough when things are tight but if I were you I would probably look elsewhere for the cash as this is certain to be something you regret in a few years...

I am sure that someone who knows much more than me will be along to help but I hope things get better for you soon...

Somethings in life you never, ever part with....no matter HOW BAD the situation (I've been there...)......

I haven't got the medals that Steve has, and I have the greatest respect and admiration for anyone holding such a range, particularly a Falklands combat medal........I've got three gongs (somewhere), nothing special, just the GSM (NI), Queens Jubbly, and my 22 years of undetected crime medal.........but I always remember that, particularly with the former and latter, it's mine, named to me and I had to serve time and take an awful load of s@*t to receive those.........sure, I can buy replacements, but at the end of the day they're my originals given to me and I want something left to my kids & relatives to know I existed and where I was when I'm gone.......keep 'em Steve !!!!!! You will only regret it in later days....

But in practical terms, complete named medal sets, particularly to para's & with authenticated campaigns, go for a considerable sum nowadays......usually at auction.....never split such an assemble, only sell as a complete lot and via auction through a reputable house (eg: Bosleys, etc).....

Steve - I sincerely hope things improve for you :)

no matter how strapped for cash you are mate never sell your beret you worked long and hard to earn that treasure

as for your medals it depends how attached to them you are but i regret losing my originals and getting them replaced was a pain in the b** so try and find another way of raising the money

Steve,

heed the advice given here and please do all you can to keep your hard earned memento`s/awards, you will regret it if you part with them maybe not now but certainly in the future. Sorry t hear of your predicament, hope all turns out well.

Ashley

Some time ago when on the dole, I was strapped too, I found that second hand bookshops are good for trade, so I sold years worth of books, most of which I have since collected again when in work. I did not consider for one moment selling my two medals.

I would suggest finding some other means than selling your hard earned medals and beret. Just my opinion.

a freind of mine was in the same predicement recently so applied to the royal british legion for help and got a bit to tide him over so why not try them if really desperate

i wish i was in a better position to help but things are tight everywhere at the minute:-(

gotta agree with the above...I got a mate that did about 2 years or so many years ago in the RAF and has had some proper trouble over the last few years and the BL have been incredible with him...they really have helped him out and not just once either...

Really hope things pick up for you mate.....but please don't sell them and especially not your beret, that little 'red hat' really does mean something very special mate.....

All the best Bob

Could the Army Benevolent Fund be of any help?

It's fair to say that the service charities do a wonderful job........and generally the ONLY criteria to benefit is having been in the services....and it usually doesn't matter when, where, or for how long........

Too many ex-servicemen and women are often reluctant to approach an organisation to ask for help......after all, we're all generally a proud bunch in the face of adversity......

All I can say is go ahead and find out.......and do it with your head held high and your integrity fully intact....!:angel:

It's fair to say that the service charities do a wonderful job........and generally the ONLY criteria to benefit is having been in the services....and it usually doesn't matter when, where, or for how long........

Too many ex-servicemen and women are often reluctant to approach an organisation to ask for help......after all, we're all generally a proud bunch in the face of adversity......

All I can say is go ahead and find out.......and do it with your head held high and your integrity fully intact....!:angel:

I agree with the above.

No shame in asking for help indeed!

Take care and good luck.