JAP engined generators.

In an unguarded e-bay moment I have found myself the owner of an ex-WD JAP engined generator rather too far from home for comfort.

Can anyone give me any information or point me to a source of information please for these items. Are there many different models ?

It is quite large, in its own carrying cradle and appears to be powered by a single cylinder engine. Until I get it home that's about all I can tell.

Edited by David B.

Um, that's virtually nothing to go on. JAP made stationary/portable engines amongst other bits of precision engineering.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._A._Prestwich_Industries_(JAP)

Two generating sets I know of: the "Trolley Acc" charging unit used by the RAF, which is a 300-ish watt charging set (separate engine and generator on a common steel frame with a carrying handle at each end), and a rather larger 1260 watt charging set with separate switchboard for recharging multiple batteries at once. These were used by the army for centralised charging and distribution of batteries where running engines near the front line was a bad idea.

There were almost certainly other units produced, I'd expect 6/12/24 volt battery chargers (delivering up to 7.5/15/30 volts), and probably 110 and 240 volt AC generating sets for other purposes.

"In a carrying frame" probably means it's the Charging Set 1260 Watt No.5 ZB.10330, with a single cylinder vertical engine of 412 cc. The data sheet reckons the engine and generator weighs 338 lb, and the charging switchboard a further 76 lb.

I only have the Part 0 (Signal Data) EMER for this, which lists the basic specifications and weight, etc.

Chris.

Thanks for the useful info chaps.

I know the details are a bit sketchy but until I get it home I'm not much the wiser myself. It could be the larger of the sets mentioned. If it is, the approximate weight will be useful to know when I have to go the 200 or so miles to Cardigan to collect it. I can try and get the model type on the brass plate from the seller in the meantime.

Were these wartime or postwar production ? and would anyone be interested in it. I didn't pay a lot for it and it doesn't seem such a good idea now as at the time.

A difference in terminology here chaps. In my experience a Trolley Acc (as in accumulator) is a hand pulled trailer full of batteries as opposed to a charging set. We tried once to start a 24 volt Spitfire with a 12 volt trolley at an RAF open day. It died pretty quickly! Oops!

A difference in terminology here chaps. In my experience a Trolley Acc (as in accumulator) is a hand pulled trailer full of batteries as opposed to a charging set. We tried once to start a 24 volt Spitfire with a 12 volt trolley at an RAF open day. It died pretty quickly! Oops!

"Trolley Acc" charging unit = petrol generator for recharging "Trolley Acc"s.

Chris.

You have the 1260 watt version of which I have a couple these myself along with the versions made by Petter and ONAN.

I also have spare engines if you need any parts.

I need someone to copy the tool box mounted on your frame if you know anyone.

The Royal Signals Museum can supply you with a copy of the manual.

Edited by REME 245

You have the 1260 watt version of which I have a couple these myself along with the versions made by Petter and ONAN.

I also have spare engines if you need any parts.

I need someone to copy the tool box mounted on your frame if you know anyone.

The Royal Signals Museum can supply you with a copy of the manual.

Thanks,I have not long found an old thread in which you participated and it certainly does look as if I have bought a Charging Set No5. Until I pick it up I don't know what I need but it looks as if the exhaust pipe and silencer are missing.

If you would like to borrow the tool box to copy you are very welcome.

Thanks for the offer.

I was the succesfull bidder when this generator was originally advertised three weeks ago.

The deal I agreed with the owner prior to bidding was if I won, he would send me the power cable and the tool box and he was free to relist the rest. Unfortunately having won for twice the price you paid he decided not to answer my e-mails so I never paid.

I assume he thought he could get a better price.