Tanks In Town 2011

Great time. However A&E was more organised and less fragmented than Tanks in Town, less Police at A&E too, all over the place in Mons, I think they added to the large gaps in the convoy, up to 10 minutes!

Met Adrian S on the M36 Jackson in the Woods North of Mons and watched close hand the abuse of a Rogers trailer by steel tracks :D

The offroad parts of the route must have been wet as the armour came out of the farm tracks dripping with mud at times, on the whole I would say the Bois woods was the biggest benefit over A&E as the owners had places to test there driving and it was all quite atmospheric.

I'll post some pictures, travel camera so sorry for quality.

Seriously, as a spectator, I thought A&E was the more 'polished' event, hi praise Jack!

PS. Only one Carrier, a T16, was in attendance.

Photos.

I didn't catch the owners name, but the M36 Jackson was over from the UK as was at least one Stuart. Combat Camel made an apperance in Mons, but didn't do the run and cut out in the 'Grand Place'. Joops M4A1 was in British colours with a British dressed crew making a change from all the US gear, it also has a more modern diesel engine and made that Sherman go like stink!

I'll put some low quality (sorry) video on youtube when I can, this hotel connection is pants!

T16_woods.jpg

Battle.jpg

Battle_sherman.jpg

Cuemes_Stuart.jpg

Cuemes_wrecker.jpg

Jackson_woods.jpg

M4_105_Cuemes.jpg

M4A1_Fill.jpg

M5_Stuart.jpg

M36_Cuemes.jpg

Mons2.jpg

Mons.jpg

Yess Hanno, no steel in Mons or on some of the newer road surfaces, the steel guys, got Diamond-Ts from the North Woods right down to the south of Mons when they off loaded and took to the older roads and lanes, but when they turned up in the Grand Place later in the afternoon they were back on the Trailers. Apparently is was a last minute announcement and the Jackson had rubber tracks which could have been fitted of they had known!

All seemed a but hit and miss, some people with steel went on a Rogers and others (eg the M3 HST) just went on the roads anyway!

Just got back from Mons, went again this year as a tourist. Only light or rubber tracked tanks allowed to use certain sections of the route due to new regs. Some nice vehicles there though and also met some HMVF members.

TANKSINTOWN2011032.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011035.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011037.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011031.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011038.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011040.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011042.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011051.jpg

TANKSINTOWN2011050.jpg

Jim

Edited by Jim Clark

The steel track thing was a little odd to be honest, I would bet that a the M36 on chevron track isn't far off the ground pressure of an M5 Stuart on steels, also depends how you drive! The guy with the M3 HST really took on board the 'drive it like you stole it' approach! Quite a number of Tanks on the Northern Woods didn't make it to the first stop to the West, Hetzer failed, Grizzly never arrived, nor did a Chaffee.

Jim's images showing the giant Davey Miner's Safety Lamp got me googling!

NOS - your nuts. The small ones aren't cheap let alone one that big:-D

Ajmac- thanks for the report and would be interested to know how many tanks took part over the weekend

I thought it had been decided some time ago that no steel tracks would be allowed at A&E?

It might of been in general conversation we had Adrian but we need to take in to account the carriers and the Stuarts...have to say that it scares the **** out of me running steels through Dorchester and Weymouth.

You didn't specify rubber tracks though........ ;)

Phew got away with that one :sweat:

I have thought long and hard about it - as you know, I went through all that prior to A&E 2010 - and I have listened to a lot of feedback. I am still sitting on the fence with it as I see both sides of the argument - its a 'risk Vs reward' issue.

I am having a meeting with the highway Dept on Friday and I will make a decision then.

Oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.... I don't envy you your decision. I think the last A&E demonstrates that carriers are fine and frankly a Stuart on steel is not really an issue but I can imagine the powers that be wanting some sort of indemnity which is not something I would give!

Oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.... I don't envy you your decision. I think the last A&E demonstrates that carriers are fine and frankly a Stuart on steel is not really an issue but I can imagine the powers that be wanting some sort of indemnity which is not something I would give!

Thanks Adrain.

Tracked vehicles that left the woods...that I remember:

1 M36 On trailer

1 Sherman M4 105 On trailer

1 Sherman M4A1

1 Sherman Grizzly

3 Chaffees

3 Stuarts

1 HST

1 Hetzer

1 T16 Carrier

1 FV432

1 US Post war APC (no good on US post war)

1 Swiss Post War MBT

5 Weasels

Vehicles reaching first stop:

1 M36 On trailer

1 Sherman M4 105 On trailer

1 Sherman M4A1

1 Sherman Grizzly

3 Chaffees

2 Chaffees

3 Stuarts

1 HST

1 Hetzer

1 T16 Carrier

1 FV432

1 US Post war APC (no good on US post war)

1 Swiss Post War MBT

5 Weasels

All steel tracked armour left white powder marks on the black top, the MBT had shot rubber pads and made more of a mark but no more than you would see if you rubbed a stone on the surface of the road. Carrier and Weasels left no marks.

Edited by ajmac

We had a great time again, the no steel tracks rule seems to have put a few off maybe, as numbers of tanks were down a fair bit compared to the last time we went, but still a great weekend, watching the T's towing some heavy armour was brilliant. it would also seem the fun police are becoming more noticeable at the event.

we snuck the jeep into the armoured convoy after Cuesmes:D and the off road sections were certainly fun in the jeep! the heavy stuff was leaving some big wet ruts for us to play in, we got through almost unscathed as the head gasket threw its hand in as we arrived at the battle field:undecided:.

P8280032.jpg

P8280028.jpg

P8270014.jpg

P8280026.jpg

P8280024.jpg

Edited by RMS

nice to see some photos on the event , when your there you never seem to take enough, meet up with some great guys , and you know who you are .........thanks again to all that help when my astra went bang on the way there ............it`s now living in mons ,

the loading and unloading of the tanks was crazy and an accident waiting to happen , i`m thinking that red tape may kill this event or alter the format to much , they need to keep the tanks moving more to save on them having engine troubles

cheers

jonny loot