Interior colour.

MIKKO

Hello everyone.

I´m new on this this forum.

I have a question about interior colour of british light tanks during early -30´s. Were they painted white or some creamy colour, or possibly silver, as i believe most british tanks were during WW2?

I´m working with a Vickers Carden-Lloyd light recon tank.

Thanks in advance.

Mikko.

As far as I know from my reasearch they were 'silver' (more aluminium) pre-war.

In 1941/42 a shortage of aluminium to make the paint due to the battle of the Atlantic and demands from aircraft production etc lead to the War Department ordering a switch to white interiors.

After the war this reverted to silver.

However my research only goes as far back as immediately pre-war. I can't say when the practice of using silver started

Chris

Hello everyone.

I´m new on this this forum.

I have a question about interior colour of british light tanks during early -30´s. Were they painted white or some creamy colour, or possibly silver, as i believe most british tanks were during WW2?

I´m working with a Vickers Carden-Lloyd light recon tank.

Thanks in advance.

Mikko.

Hi Mikko,

I have seen evidence of silver as an original interior colour on a 1937 Vickers Light Tank MkVIa. If this is of any help to you.

Chris

I am working on a Charioteer that is being turned back into a Cromwell V1 Type F. The interior paint is silver but should this be white for the Cromwell ?

I would like to get it correct, having it white would be better...........

Bob

Chris

I am working on a Charioteer that is being turned back into a Cromwell V1 Type F. The interior paint is silver but should this be white for the Cromwell ?

I would like to get it correct, having it white would be better...........

Bob

Do what the crews did and remove all interior paint so that it didn't spall when the vehicle was hit.

This is interesting information, thank you everyone.

I'm leaning towards silverish aluminium at this point, although i yet have to discover if this specimen was in fact repainted white of the inside during testperiod in Finland.

I'm repainting the inside of my Mk1 Daimler armoured car white, having found that the inner mantlet which has clearly not been disturbed, was painted in a very faded and yellowed white. On the rest of the vehicle I have found white on one single part from the engine bay (on the underside of the oil can holder, which again looked like it had never been moved) and tiny traces elsewhere.

I've heard a lot of people say 'ah but I took the stowage out and it was silver underneath' My own observations have been that the post-war 50s rebuilds were extremely thorough, after all there were quite a few paintbrush wielding National Sevicemen at the time, so few conclusions can be based on what finish is there now.

I stripped down a Fordson 15 cwt a while back expecting to find evidence of paint finish. During the rebuild they had even painted underneath the upper part of the the front scuttle. I found about a 1" square of brown tucked right up in a corner, showing that the original paint was indeed SCC2 which would fit given the date of the vehicle.

Period interior photos can help a little, in my case some of the early photos of Mk1 DACs seem to indicate white, as does the training film that was produced.

I'd go with white Bob, unless someone can prove otherwise of course......

Regards

Paul

Bob,

Sorry to bring the wrong news but the change to white interiors in British AFVs was very temporary and as Chris said was the result of shortages in 1941/2. We reverted to silver/aluminium as soon as possible and certainly by mid 1943 but each factory will have had a different change date and some may never had changed to white at all. I have examined a considerable number of range wrecks and have never seen any sign of white paint on any part of a Centaur or Cromwell. I have seen white in Covenanters and early Valentines and as Paul said Daimler ACs. I also have seen a specification for the prototype Covenanter which specifies white interior but refers to change back to silver when available.

To go further off thread American AFVs were always painted white inside from new untill the 1960s (I think) when they changed to a rather nice shade of light green. The wartime white paint when it ages either goes very chalky and rubs off on your fingers or goes yellow causing restorers to try to match it and paint interiors custard colour. Think how yellow the white paint in your house goes after ten years and that does not have to contend with oil and propellant fumes or 60 plus years of weathering. Mind you an old traditional pub interior might be a good comparison.

David

Mind you an old traditional pub interior might be a good comparison.

David

Hmm, I think I might have to do some research then....

Paul

PS interesting that you have seen white on other DACs. I think 'custard' describes the white I've seen on the inner mantlet quite nicely. Definitely aged to a pale creamy oxydised white.

Bob,

Sorry to bring the wrong news but the change to white interiors in British AFVs was very temporary and as Chris said was the result of shortages in 1941/2. We reverted to silver/aluminium as soon as possible and certainly by mid 1943 but each factory will have had a different change date and some may never had changed to white at all. I have examined a considerable number of range wrecks and have never seen any sign of white paint on any part of a Centaur or Cromwell. I have seen white in Covenanters and early Valentines and as Paul said Daimler ACs. I also have seen a specification for the prototype Covenanter which specifies white interior but refers to change back to silver when available.

Very interesting indeed, thanks David.