FV711 Ferret Mk4 "Big Wheeled"

Was on the lookout for a vehicle to get my teeth into and was toying with getting a WC63 but on an off chance came across this little gem whilst on an excursion to pick up some roadwheels for a mate's 432.

width=640 height=480http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/jtferret3.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/jtferret2.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/Daemon1/jtferret1.jpg[/img]

I know she looks a state but with the exception of the rear engine deck she is all there including the flotation screen.

I take delivery shortly after Christmas as we need to shuffle a few things around at my storage facility, after that it will be a long haul to get her back into shape.

Will try and keep all posted on progress as we go.

John,

If I were you I'd get hold of another Ferret and brake it for spares. It'll be much easier and cheaper than trying to restore the burnt out insides, and you'll get bits like the engine deck too which are impossible to find. You'll probably get your money back selling the wings and bins!

Chris

On checking it over Richard the silencer seemed to be OK bear in mind that was just a superficial glance.

Will bear it in mind when I get to grips with the beast on delivery as first jobs are to strip all the tinwork, engine, transmission and internals off and go to town with the sandblaster inside and out.

John,

My silencer was fine untill I went further than 20 miles and it fell to bits. I suggest you relieve Richard of his NOS one! I'll have a think about the Ferrets, other than the ones in Belgium there aren't that many around anymore.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well finally took delivery of the beast today. Too wet to take any pictures but hopefully better weather tomorrow so will try and get some more then.

One initial problem noted though, rear wheels appear to be "locked up" as in they dont roll. Any suggestions lads?

I have a feeling I have a gearbox / transfer box rebuild coming up but if any of you know any better please feel free to let me know.

So the front wheels spin but it just drags the back ones? I would check all the sun gears are in the hubs and that all the prop shafts are connected. Our Fox had the rear sun gears removed and tied to bits of string in the engine bay!

Chris

The fire looks like it was in the crew compartment :|

Reckon I may have an answer on this. If someone had removed the front sun wheels to do a front suspended recovery (obviously not REME, they would have known better), it is entirely possible that the handbrake, which is two band brakes on front bevelbox input flanges, were either on or rubbing, and caught fire. This may explain the fire damage in that vicinity.

The sun wheels are removed because it is illegal for the suspended wheels to rotate, if they have been removed at the front, this was a no.1 mistake on the part of he who did it.

Richard

Sorry no responses earlier chaps but I fell asleep, :dunno:

I'll try and check the prop shafts and brake calipers to see if its at that point but I have a feeling it might just be the sun gears.

Richard's explanation sounds extremely plausible so will investigate that also.

Thanks for the input guys, just goes to show the benefit of places like this :-)

Thanks for that Chris

Need to give Richard a call anyway as need a couple of bits for the Saladin :roll:

Will try and get some pictures today and post them later

Cheers Chris, so would it be a big job to remove these for towing and would it not be a pain every time you had to tow, there must have been an easier way.

The idea is not to do a suspended tow on them Mark but if you have to its easier to disconnect the propshafts to the elevated axle. Rebuilding the hub can be a pain in the A**E so the propshaft route is better on that score.

Mark,

On FV700 series vehicles the front and rear wheels are locked together as there is only one central differential in the transfer box. It's illegal to do a suspended tow with the front wheels rotating so they would normally remove the sun gears from the rear wheels to disconnect them from the drive train. Removing the front wheels would stop them rotating too, but it's not ideal as the drive train will still be rotating as it is towed.

On the Fox & Ferret Mk 4 & 5 removing and replacing the sun gears is not much trouble. It's much easier to remove them than the prop shafts as you can get to them without having to remove loads of covers or even the engine!

Chris