Issue with Drops air pressure

Markheliops

Hi Gents.

My mate Hans has purchased a Drops and is having an issue with the air pressure to get the thing to pass a German TUV test.

His e-mail below:

The German MOT has a last subject to be cleared. They say, the pressure available is too little. After braking a few times intensly, the air gauges drop in the red zone. It does not load more then app 7 BAR into the tanks, which gives it to their opinion too little reserve....

My questions, can you put that in the forum please.

What should be the pressure at the gauges be, before the compressor 'switches off'??

What should be the pressure that the compressor delivers (I can then find out if it is worn..)??

I am presuming the compressor pressure can be adjusted by some degree or is this normal with Drops?

Any advice on this issue will be appreciated

Many thanks.

Markheliops

Hi Mark.

Low air warning light should come on at 71 to 78 psi or 498 -538 Kpa.

Full air pressure should be 120psi or 827 Kpa

Hope this helps.

If you want to call me, for any questions you may have. send me an email and i will give you my number.

Regards

Clive

DROPS are notorious for loosing pressure on braking. That's why there is a manouver brake on the floor, so that you can load/off load flatracks without loosing too much pressure. This is just how they are.

I think from the original post, that the vehicle is not building air to it's max operating pressure (120psi). this is the reason

why it is not reaching the braking requirements on the German MOT test.

Clive

From my days of base overhauling Leyland DROPS during the Bosnia campaign as well as the SEME diagnosis and repair course prior, I have turned my mind back and would say the first thing to do is to check throughly for any air leaks, from pipes and valves. Once ascertained that this is correct then go through the system checking pressures at the test points to pinpoint the problem area.

TonyB mentioned gunge in the compressor, in reality this should be dealt with by the Air Dryer, it might be wise to change the cartridge if it does not look if it has been replaced for a while.

Update from Hans.

On the system there is an airdryer from WABCO.

In that unit there is a 'imbus' screw that regulates the airpressure blow off point. Simply turn it, and the air is released at an erlier, or later stage thus incresing the airpressure in the system. We have now regulated it on roughly 8,5 BARS which should be enough for the German MOT.

We are back for a last check tomorrow!!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

That equates to 120 psi so should be fine. Out of interest, what was it unloading at before?

After braking a few times intensly, the air gauges drop in the red zone. It does not load more then app 7 BAR into the tanks, which gives it to their opinion too little reserve....

Hans description of the fault mate.