Gearbox advice please

Invicta

I have a 1975 Mitsubishi Model J26 Jeep.

The J20 series were made under licence to Jeep, mine is based on the CJ3-B (M909?).

Ive hopefully attached a picture.

I am having difficulty changing down into 2nd so am assuming that the synchromesh gears are worn as all other gears

engage and disenge OK.

I am trying to find a gearbox mechanic who is experienced in this type of work, preferably somewhere within a mornings drive of Tewkesbury. I would prefer for them to remove, fix and refit the box but I would be happy enough if they were only interested in the repair work.

The gearbox is a Mitsubishi 4 speed KM141.

There is also fitted a Mitsubishi Hi/Lo box and a Warn Overdrive.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated as at the moment I am using Slick 50 Gearbox Treatment and double declutching as opposed to being able to fix the problem.

Many thanks,

Bern

100_1226 - Copy.JPG

Hi Dude

Before you go to the exspence of a strip down Go on the STEEL SOLDIERS website and ask if there is a simple solution to the problem it maybe something you can do yourself and it could save you a few quid.

boomboom

BoomBoom,

Just to keep things moving I have put some Slick50 manual gearbox treatment in which I gather covers all the parts with a form of Teflon making them a bit more "slippy".

Incidentally I wouldn't put this stuff in the engine as I have read it tends to cover the oilways making them a bit smaller than the manuafacturer intended ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Steel Soldiers here I come,

Bern

Incidentally with your motto are you anything to do with Smiths?

Pete,

A chap on Soldiers of Steel has put me in touch with an outfit called Paladin Trucks in the states.

They import Mitsubishi Jeeps and parts so I'll see if they can help.

Many thanks for the advice,

Bern

TonyB,

And after the 24 hours were up .....

Thanks for the confirmation on this,

Bern

The beast apparently did started to complain. So I was told by an old colleauge that took part in the test, oil was put back in the box, and the vehicle continued as part of the MOD Police motor club for another couple of years.

Pete,

A chap on Soldiers of Steel has put me in touch with an outfit called Paladin Trucks in the states.

They import Mitsubishi Jeeps and parts so I'll see if they can help.

Many thanks for the advice,

Bern

Hi Bern

Worth a try in the end Bern .

As for a drive out ,,,,any time is a good time for a run out, Where in the country do you live and if its not to far i can give you a shout or if there is a rally on we can convoy BUT you may get a bit borred waiting for me or behind me as i nearly allways have the 155 on the back and thats a bit of a lump.....but yep i am up for it and we may even sneek in the odd firing of the 155 or the 50cal:cool2:

Pete

Nothing you pour into a gearbox will ever fix anything.

Slick 50 is a sham and has been sued in the US regarding their snake oil claims.

Teflon requires a temp of over 500F to bond to metal parts. Teflon is not like 'little ball bearings'.. but a coating that unless bonded to a surface is completely useless.

Most snake oils simply dump zinc or moly into your oil and call it a day. zinc is an effective lubricant. Also found in copious amount in products like shampoo.

Wayne,

Ah but the scenary is magnificent (so I'm told). :)

Tony B

So it lasted well past the 24 hrs then. ;)

Pete,

Sounds like you have quiet a collection going on.

I'm here in tewkesbury and would appreciate hearing about any Rallys as it's always interesting to chew the fat with other owners of the slightly different type of vehicle. As for the speed if I'd of wanted to go faster I'd of bought a Hinda Fireblade. ;)

Deadline,

Even if it's the "placebo effect" of the snakeoil I'm happy with this as a running repair. Incidentaly are you a Steve Earle fan as this is the title of one of his songs.

Paul D,

I'll give them a go.

There was one bunch who sounded the business but a guy on the G503 site wasn't impressed as he sent money but never got any parts - the name of the company escapes me. So it's reassuring to get a personal recommendation.

Thanks for that.

Many thanks to you all. This is the largest response I've had in the past 5 years and gives me some confidance that I'm not totally daft trying to keep my Jeep running (despite what the rest of the family may thinks - and that includes my dog).

Bern

Hi Bern

We have a nice little rally coming off around september and its set in the woods at the Norchard Steam center just outside lydney. For the weekend yanks/brits/germans should be a nice chillout weekend .

I will let you know sooner the time bud

Pete