Hi all,

seems strange starting this as a new member but i am certainly new to this site.

I have been collecting MVs since 1983. I started with a Dodge WC52 and have owned two GMC 353s, Diamond T 969, two Diamond T 980s, M151A1 Mutt, M5 High speed tractor, M75 APC, M4A4 Sherman, Cromwell tank, two Caterpillar D4s, Can-Am Bombardier, Indian 741B, M10 tank destroyer and a White Scout Car.

Also various trailers and associated kit.

Currently I have the M4A4 Sherman, M5 Tractor, M75 APC, Cat D4 dozer and the Can-Am all fully restored, the White M3A1 under restoration and the Cromwell waiting its turn! At least i can't be accused of wartime snobbery...... :wink:

The day job is running my small engineering company, very handy for me to restore tanks with! We do undertake some tank work commercially, mainly the heavy fabrication and repairs. I also do some film work either with my vehicles or more usually driving other tanks or making things for special effects use. The latest being eight fuel tanker bodies for the new Bond film.

Thanks for the welcome.

Adrian Barrell

:schocked: :-o :schocked:

Hi Adrian.

Ok, so you haven't much experience then :oops: :cry: one hell of a collection of vehicles and I am sure you have loved driving every single one. Sounds like you will have some great experience to pass on and I can happly say that I just slighty more than jealous at that collection - that is pure dedication.

What made you finally join HMVF?

Best wishes.

Jack

Hi Mark,

don't think I do but I have only worked on the fringes of the industry, it's not really my thing. After a few 16 hr shifts in Prague over night at -10 degrees, it loses any glamour it may have had!

........going to have to tell us more now!

........going to have to tell us more now!

Hmm,

that particular job was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I had made the pseudo WW1 tank used in the opening sequence and was in Prague for the shoot. It all ended badly with a collapsed set and me in hospital with a broken arm! Mind you, the nurses were gorgeous... :wink:

Adrian

That's the one! I subsequently modded it to look a little more WW1 for a BBC production last year, as seen at Beltring.

I normally do go to Beltring, though this year was the first I have missed for years.

My sherman was there last year.

Regards,

Adrian

I got to go in the arena in a Sherman named "Zemsta". Great fun.

Show us a pic of your vehicles...

Jack,

that depends on the Sherman! Obviously, there is a variety of engines but also single and double pull brakes and boosted clutches. Mine has the multibank engine which is very tourqey (is that a word?), double pull brakes and a spring boosted clutch. I have driven:- Sexton, M7, M4A1 with the radial engine, M4A2 with the twin GM diesels, both early and late models and M50 Super Sherman.

Though I'm biased, the M4A4 is easily the nicest to drive, Sexton probably the worst. It's a combination of seating position, controls, engine power and such things as the condition of the suspension. It's quite common for sherman type suspension to be seized and it does make it a little harder to steer.

Having said all that, they are quite roomy, and well laid out inside. They feel a bit lumbering, though when up to speed they do come alive somewhat.

Always happy to give a ride Enigma! Might even let you drive it....

Hmm,

that particular job was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I had made the pseudo WW1 tank used in the opening sequence and was in Prague for the shoot. It all ended badly with a collapsed set and me in hospital with a broken arm! Mind you, the nurses were gorgeous... :wink:

Adrian

Is that the one C&C have for sale @ 25K ?? they told me it cost over 100K to build??

Thanks Adrian.

First of all Enigma just PM'd me to say that he would be to scared to drive a tank and that I should take his place 8-)

A tank must be a noisy as hell and you must know that you have driven one after an hour or two?

What do they do to the gallon?

And what is the maintenance schedule like?

Jack,

nice try :-D

They are not too noisy, though the M75 is very loud inside......

They are quite tiring though and you do get very dusty! Maintenance varies a lot from different types, Sherman is very reliable and so is not too onerous.

Fuel consumption depends on type of driving. On a good run, I get maybe 1/2 mile to the gallon, cross country...... I did a film job over two days and used £175 worth of petrol.

Thirsty stuff!

Adrian

Jack,

that depends on the Sherman! Obviously, there is a variety of engines but also single and double pull brakes and boosted clutches. Mine has the multibank engine which is very tourqey (is that a word?), double pull brakes and a spring boosted clutch. I have driven:- Sexton, M7, M4A1 with the radial engine, M4A2 with the twin GM diesels, both early and late models and M50 Super Sherman.

Though I'm biased, the M4A4 is easily the nicest to drive, Sexton probably the worst. It's a combination of seating position, controls, engine power and such things as the condition of the suspension. It's quite common for sherman type suspension to be seized and it does make it a little harder to steer.

Having said all that, they are quite roomy, and well laid out inside. They feel a bit lumbering, though when up to speed they do come alive somewhat.

Always happy to give a ride Enigma! Might even let you drive it....

Don't suppose you'd like to swap rides for one in a Stalwart when she's swimming?? :roll: :-)

Hi Adrian, at Beltring 05 we took a load of pictures of your sherman and questioned you for ages about it for a little project we were getting started on. Great photo albums you had. You should post some more pictures. I especially liked the engines. By the way did I see you at Chatham dockyard a few months ago? Was going to say hello but you'd gone when I got round the stalls.

Adrian, glad to see you here, however I don't suppose you would remember me, I met you once at W&P having been told to find you by your Father, who I knew from Fram.

I was at 'Stennets' the other day and realised what they had 'lying' around and I reckon you are the man, if anyone can, to persuade them to take something down next year

Hope to see you there again

Cheers