GMC CCKW rear springs

R Cubed

Hi all, while I crack on with Big end Little end engine problem, I have also noticed one side of the rear springs has settled by about 2 inches !!! :wow: does any one know the spec for them or have a good pair ?

Seems I can wear out a GMC.......

Must be the weight of your Hiab!

Just send the pair away to be reworked/re-tempered. We did that with all my Matador springs and Mikes Ward springs. I used a firm called Paddington springs (in Wembley), and can recommennd them. They did lots of bus ones for us too.

• 7 months later...

Replaced the rear spring over the weekend all went well and now sorted also we all still have all our fingers.

Centre spring mount bearings will require some attention soon. Were very lucky did not have to remove any of the torque rods or move any of the axles, jacked up truck and blocked chassis with timber, unbolted the spring shackles and removed all ok, this released the spring, unbolted and removed the centre spring plate bolt ( the on which holds all the leaves together then knocked number 4 leaf ( fourth up from the bottom ) through until the end was level with the end of leaf 5 this enabled the spring to be slid through one of the axle spring pockets ( can get leaves 1 and 2 which are in there anyway and also No3 will fit too but No4 stops so sliding it along gives enough room) and this made enough clearance for the other ends of the spring to clear the other axle pocket and so the spring could be removed, re assembly is just the reverse of the above, as they say..

• 4 weeks later...
Replaced the rear spring over the weekend all went well and now sorted also we all still have all our fingers.

Centre spring mount bearings will require some attention soon. Were very lucky did not have to remove any of the torque rods or move any of the axles, jacked up truck and blocked chassis with timber, unbolted the spring shackles and removed all ok, this released the spring, unbolted and removed the centre spring plate bolt ( the on which holds all the leaves together then knocked number 4 leaf ( fourth up from the bottom ) through until the end was level with the end of leaf 5 this enabled the spring to be slid through one of the axle spring pockets ( can get leaves 1 and 2 which are in there anyway and also No3 will fit too but No4 stops so sliding it along gives enough room) and this made enough clearance for the other ends of the spring to clear the other axle pocket and so the spring could be removed, re assembly is just the reverse of the above, as they say..

Cubed

Did you take any photos whilst doing this ? Anything spring related makes me shudder, after a narrow escape I had with a coiled spring some years ago.

Vulture

I once rushed a tie bar replacement job (the rubber bushed type). All wheels were off and the truck frame was blocked up so the axles hung at funny angles.

Wheels on and lowered to the ground it looked like a lizard on hot sand with the rear left and centre right wheels well off the ground. :blush: Had to then undo tie bar nuts and get tapers free so it could be lowered onto level surface before tightening. :D

Cubed

Did you take any photos whilst doing this ? Anything spring related makes me shudder, after a narrow escape I had with a coiled spring some years ago.

Vulture

Not sure that he did tbh, he's out at the moment collecting a new engine so cant ask him, will track him down later today for you :)

and with that he turns up!!!!!! His ears must have been burning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cubed

Vulture[/quote

No sorry no pics. No real dramas though just a pain to get the 2 "U" shackes out, tip is to soak the points where the threads go through the main mounting block do this several weeks before carring out any work, I used diesel and they slid out with a little help of a bottle jack under the nut to help push the U shackle upwards.

Leaf springs are not as much of a scarry thing as coils, as generally once the weight is off them there is no more tension in them. ( but always proceed with caution )

Cubed

Vulture[/quote

No sorry no pics. No real dramas though just a pain to get the 2 "U" shackes out, tip is to soak the points where the threads go through the main mounting block do this several weeks before carring out any work, I used diesel and they slid out with a little help of a bottle jack under the nut to help push the U shackle upwards.

Leaf springs are not as much of a scarry thing as coils, as generally once the weight is off them there is no more tension in them. ( but always proceed with caution )

Cubed

Okay, thanks for the tips there :)

Picking up on a bit Roxie posted "collecting a new engine", have you been and sourced a new engine for your truck ? Tell all... :-)

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
Grammar

Cubed

Okay, thanks for the tips there :)

Picking up on a bit Roxie posted "collecting a new engine", have you been and sourced a new engine for your truck ? Tell all... :-)

Kind regards

Vulture

Hmmmmmmm I will let him tell you that story!!!! :)