Nimrod joins Harrier in an early grave

antarmike

After 38 years good service Nimrod flew for the last time today, with a farewell flypast at RAF Waddington, its home base.

Although very capable, and although it has a job to do in present ongoing conflicts, and despite the fact a replacement will not be flying until 2014, the Nimrod is forced into retirement.

Although I could not get along today, I saw Nimrod overfly Conningsby (on its way back from the Middle east???), to Waddington yesterday.

I hope this doesn't come round to bite us in the Arse in the same way, having no Harrier and no Ark Royal is hampering what we can achieve in the middle east right now.

Farewell Nimrod.

What a pity they couldn't keep in the air a few days longer so the Public could also say goodbye at the Waddington airshow!

Edited by antarmike

Saw it on the news at lunchtime today. Saddened by its demise, but totally confused at how the powers that be can justify it when there is no current replacement.

Funny how the planned replacement is american machine, and while we are waiting for it we can cadge a seat on a passing american plane. We truly are becoming the 53rd state

I was at the finale event, having worked on the R1’s until recently. I’m not going to enter into the replacement debate; I’ve heard enough of all that over the past 3 years and became a victim of the decision. Here’s a couple of pics from the event, of XV249, which incidentally is a hybrid R1 having started life as an MR2 and converted to R1 to replace XW666 ‘The Beast’ which was very skillfully ditched into the Moray Firth back in 1995 after an engine/wing fire during an airtest. One of the R1’s will be on static display at this weekend’s airshow.

Bye bye Mighty Hunter :cry:.

Nimrod.jpg

XV249 1.jpg

XV249 2.jpg

As we stay very close to RAF Kinloss it is very sad to see them go,the base will now close and alot of jobs will go.We were down on the base when they cut up the last 4.There is a local group up here trying to save the last one,but the MOD is throwing alot of red tape in there way.

Saw it on the news at lunchtime today. Saddened by its demise, but totally confused at how the powers that be can justify it when there is no current replacement.

Funny how the planned replacement is american machine, and while we are waiting for it we can cadge a seat on a passing american plane. We truly are becoming the 53rd state

If we do become the 53rd state, does that mean we get cheap petrol? ;)

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

The final, final flight has just taken place of the Nimrod R1 with the spirited departure of 49 for Kemble, where it will be dismantled and transported to Cosford Museum, this follows 64 which flew into East Midlands for the Aeropark recently, 65 is currently being cut up for scrap in a hangar.

I'm not even gonna comment on this thread..:-|.......hahah!...apart from writing this bit that is!...

..because......... the last time I commented on our Governements (ahem!)

"strange behaviour & attitude" over such things...

... I was told off by the 'powers that be' for being too 'political' ...:cool2:

Is it just me or have we forgotten how to make things these days.

Take a modern aircraft, stick lots of bulges and stuff in it looks terrible.

Take a Comet ad lots of extra bulges and stuff and it still looks good. Even when they had big noses.

Probably just me, better book a new opticians appointment:D

Mike

Quite right Pzkpfw-e, the B707 was designed in 1954. The RC135 Rivet Joints have already been around the clock. Twenty USAF Rivet Joints are being refurbished and refitted, the RAF is having three of those, calling them 'Airseeker'. Supposedly cheaper than using three Nimrod MR4's... Really :cheesy:

Quite right Pzkpfw-e, the B707 was designed in 1954. The RC135 Rivet Joints have already been around the clock. Twenty USAF Rivet Joints are being refurbished and refitted, the RAF is having three of those, calling them 'Airseeker'. Supposedly cheaper than using three Nimrod MR4's... Really :cheesy:

Yeah, bankrupt stock! :D

Shackalton! Where are you when needed?

A Rivet Joint, modern? It's about as ancient an airframe as the Nimrod!

Ok so it is also an old airframe.

But it is still ugly.

What happened to making aircraft attractive?

Mike