more sad news

rosie

I have just found out that Chris Davies has passed away. At this moment I have no other details, sorry people.

We spent a brilliant 2 weeks in France with him for the MVTs 55th D-Day tour, then of course he was in France again with the MVT 2 years ago. I also know he had suffered with ill health for many years.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP Chris and sleep well hunny.

Jesus! I have know Chris for donkeys years! It really does make you sit up when it's someone you know well! :-(
I know its horrid, as I said before, he was ill but even still its still a shock.

I found out a couple of hours ago, I was having a cup of tea with him and Jane only a couple of weeks ago.

Can't take it in.

RIP mate.

Chris was a good man. When I was editing 'Windscreen' he organised a visit to the Royal Marines Magazine staff so I could get some advice. Chris also took over the Diary section for me, considerably reducing my workload. He will be sadly missed.

Anybody know of the Funeral details. I would like to attend, if possible.

Chris was a good man. When I was editing 'Windscreen' he organised a visit to the Royal Marines Magazine staff so I could get some advice. Chris also took over the Diary section for me, considerably reducing my workload. He will be sadly missed.

Anybody know of the Funeral details. I would like to attend, if possible.

As soon as I know (if I find out in time)i will let you know. G506 may know details.

I am very sorry to hear the sad news about Chris. I first met him in 1983, as we were both BSA M20 owners we had a lot in common. The first D-Day show at Southsea in 1984, I rode in soaking wet, first person met was Chris, and he made me a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea, good man! He did a lot for the MVT, was well respected and will be missed.

Rest in Peace, Chris

Ok here are the funeral details sent via an e-mail that was then forwarded on to me.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Sadly I have to announce the death of Christopher Ian Davies known as Taff

He passed away on the 24/6/2011. His funeral service is at St Colmans R.C.Church

St Colmans Avenue Cosham Portsmouth PO6 2JJ on Thursday the 30th June at

Family flowers only but Donations to Combat Stress c/o Grady’s Funeral Directors 23 Mengham Road

Hayling Island PO11 9BG

Hi All,

I have been asked by the Davies Family to firstly thank all those who have posted so far, for their kind words and to secondly let everyone know the full details for Thursday.

Christopher Davies' Funeral Ceremony will be held at St Paul's Church, Allaway Avenue, Paulsgrove, Portsmouth at 12:30pm on Thursday 30th June.

The Committal will then be held at Waterlooville Cemetery at 1:30pm.

The Wake will be at the Woodpecker Pub, London Road, Waterlooville.

The Family have said it would be nice to see some military vehicles on this day but are aware that parking at some of the venues is tight. Those who wish to wear uniforms are welcome (usual MVT dress rules apply). The request has been made for family flowers only and donations to be given to Combat Stress, through Grady's Funeral Directors as stated by Rosie.

In traditional Davies Family Spirit they have asked me to apologise for the short notice, due to unalterable family arrangements.

On a personal note, Chris was the one who got me involved in the military vehicle scene to the level I am today. They were great times, even when he took sheer delight in molding my cold, soaking wet beret to my head. There is now a gap that will never be filled. The immortal words as I left his house one night on my motorbike will be there forever; "KEEP IT BETWEEN THE TREES". As will his face when my partner started having contractions for the birth of our daughter in his garage, but that's a story for another day.

R.I.P mate

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD. LET'S GIVE HIM THE SEND OFF HE DESERVES.

When Dad first came up with the idea of our first 'Red Ball Express' heavy haulage MV Convoy in 1990 in Wiltshire, Chris Davies was exceptionally helpful with advice for the novice event organisers (ourselves) and also gave us much inside information on how we should approach and sell the event to Wiltshire Constabulary! I'm not even sure that he didn't write a letter to the local Traffic section giving us greater credibility in the eyes of the law that we were much more proficient at running convoys than we really were!

As others have said, he did an awful lot for the MVT/MVCG and I have attended a number of COM meetings and AGM's over the years where he took a leading role.

He was also a very nice guy and I remember around 1999, he would often pop around to Andy Jones (Windscreen Editor's) house in Whitely for a cup of coffee in his 'company transport,' which always used to make the neighbours curtains twitch!

Much missed.

Edited by M5Clive