Triumph 3sw ......tips or advice

jenkinov

Such a small world . I went onto the HMVF web site.and used your photos as a reference point after it arrived.

I then went to see a friend with a 5sw to check his rack 

Yes ..a The rack had the string but interestingly my rack has a few holes drilled in it . Presumably to help secure items onto the rack..that confirms it's a used item and there is some evidence the bolts securing it to its original bike were cut ...

A wire brush and kurust next...

I have 2 more items on my wish list ..an original sump guard ..and Horn 

Jenkinov

• 5 months later...

My Triumph appears to be 90 percent original but I am interested in securing a few missing or incorrect pieces

1 Horn ..can anyone confirm the correct am a horn model 

2 sump guard.. Does a home have an original sump guard that I could see... To help me track a correct one down

3 carb float chamber... Can anyone confirm the float chamber number....I want to check it against the one I have fitted

Thanks

Chris

Jenk 

The horn is the Lucas HF1235 (Altette) 

The Amal number for the float bowl is 64/079. But basically it's a standard bowl with no angle and the 1/4 BSP threaded spout (Not the banjo type)

I can't find a picture of any of my sump shields, but they're quite a simple thing, so I might well take one off for pictures and measurements later.  Ron

HF1235.jpg

3SW 157.JPG

Here are the measurements for the sump shield. Treat some as approximate. Any missing measurements should be simple to calculate.  I've learnt to put a slot in at least one of the front mountings, to avoid having to drift the frame stud all the way out.  Ron

Scan_20221010 (2).jpg

Scan_20221010.jpg

• Like 1

Regarding the Altette horn and getting into some real nerd stuff, The HF1235 model had different variations over the years (apart from 6v and 12v)

The only way to date them is on the little triangular fiber board plate. Which of is often missing or can be changed of course. But the clue is the adjusting screw on the back. The screw was set into a recess up to 1947, after which it was a flush screw. 

Ron

HF1235 3.jpg

Edited by Ron

• 2 weeks later...