Does anybody know where I can get solid rubber trolley tyres?

GlenAnderson

Hi all.

I thought I'd plumb the wealth of knowledge available on this forum as an Internet search has proven frustrating...

I have in the shed an extremely elderly sack-truck I inherited from my father. The tyres on it were well past their best when I was a boy and are now so bad they render the trolley useless.

I can bodge some modern wheels on - but the originals are still sound and the work involved is going to be quite time consuming to do properly, involving replacing the axle, and likely irreversible. Call me a sentimental old fool, but it also wouldn't be the same afterwards and I feel I might as well just buy a new barrow as fit so many new bits.

They are about 8" dia and 1-1/2" wide, with a centre dia about 7".

I have pulled the tyres from a pair of cheap wheels from Screwfix, but they are going to need boring out and profiling to fit and my lathe chuck won't hold them. One possibility is to fabricate some kind of jig on the faceplate, but it's going to be right on the limit of what will actually fit (I have a pre-war Harrison with about 6" throw over the bed).

Having just wasted another half-hour or so head-scratching in the shed I had the brainwave of asking here if anyone had any ideas!

I can take some detailed measurements and photos if needed...

All the best, and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Glen.

I iamgine the original tyres were bonded to the wheels - a bit like bren gun carrier tyres. It would cost a fortune to replace them.

Are the dimensions you're after near the wheels shown at the bottom here: http://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/steel-centered-industrial-trolley-wheels.html

I imagine it's the axle diameter and hub length that are critical?

Edited by Runflat

Hi Runflat,

The original wheels have cast iron centres, profiled to hold the tyre on their inner edge. The outer edge is held by an aluminium casting bolted up from the side. The hub bearings are carried directly in the wheel, and bear on cycle type cones on the axle.

I have a pair of new wheels identical to those in your link that I could make fit, but as you correctly surmise, my existing axle diameter and length are way out. I'd need to remove the entire original axle and replace it with a longer, smaller diameter one.

I'll try and get some pictures up to make it clearer...

Thanks for the input though, I am unwilling to scrap the trolley as it's a useful thing to have about, but equally it's a bit daft to spend too many hours and too much cash on something that could be replaced so easily!

All the best, Glen.