ultrasonic cleaning - what fluid?

john fox

Question

I have a carb that badly needs cleaning and have got an ultrasonic bath but never used it yet and don't know what fluid is best for a carb. My bath has a heater element.

Any recommendations:

- water and washing up liquid?

- water on its own?

- what else?

... of course I could always try petrol I suppose :rofl:

4 answers to this question

I have a carb that badly needs cleaning and have got an ultrasonic bath but never used it yet and don't know what fluid is best for a carb. My bath has a heater element.

Any recommendations:

- water and washing up liquid?

- water on its own?

- what else?

... of course I could always try petrol I suppose :rofl:

Hi ultrasonics use high frequency waves in fluid to produce minute bubble which collapse at the surface of the part you are cleaning, so anything which will produce bubbles is no use.

If you have one of those jewel cleaners they have very little power so it will take time and you will need to change the cleaning fluid when it gets dirty as the power drops with very dirty liquid.

Better to keep it simple and use some mild alkaline degreaser like Janitol Rapide diluted in water. Warm is best. Acidic cleaners can eat the alloy.

Doug

Some for sale here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=2&oq=ultrasonic+cleaning&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ultrasonic+cleaning+fluid#q=ultrasonic+cleaning+fluid&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=kyfnTZGKNM2FhQffw6THCg&ved=0CGIQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=2d13575064551e87&biw=1440&bih=785

Water alone can be used

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning

quote Wiki "Ultrasonic activity (cavitation) helps the solution to do its job; plain water would not normally be effective. The cleaning solution contains ingredients designed to make ultrasonic cleaning more effective. For example, reduction of surface tension increases cavitation levels, so the solution contains a good wetting agent (surfactant). Aqueous cleaning solutions contain detergents, wetting agents and other components, and have a large influence on the cleaning process. Correct composition of the solution is very dependent upon the item cleaned. Solutions are mostly used warm, at about 50–65 °C (122–149 °F), however, in medical applications it is generally accepted that cleaning should be at temperatures below 38 °C (100 °F) to prevent protein coagulation.

Water-based solutions are more limited in their ability to remove contaminants by chemical action alone than solvent solutions; e.g. for delicate parts covered with thick grease. The effort required to design an effective aqueous-cleaning system for a particular purpose is much greater than for a solvent system.

Some better machines (which are not unduly large) recycle the hydrocarbon cleaning fluids. Three tanks are used in a cascade. The lower tank containing dirty fluid is heated causing the fluid to evaporate. At the top of the machine there is a refrigeration coil. Fluid condenses on the coil and falls into the upper tank. The upper tank eventually overflows and clean fluid runs into the work tank where the cleaning takes place. Purchase price is higher than simpler machines, but such machines are economical in the long run. The same fluid can be reused many times, minimising wastage and pollution. Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4, also formerly used in fire extinguishers for electrical fires) was used in the past, but is now prohibited as dangerous. If CCl4 fumes are inhaled through a lit cigarette, carbonyl chloride (COCl2, also called phosgene, a poison gas used in warfare) could be produced."unquote"

Edited by antarmike

With a refrigiration coil that is typically vapour degreasing using another really good oops I mean nasty chemical called Tricloroethane 111

The formation of Phosgene also occurs from inhaling freon through a lit cigarette

I would think kerosene should be ok for a carby in an ultrasonic bath and less volatile than gasoline

The ultrasonic senders are normally on the side so you need to rotate the bit int that direction for greatest effect. if you put a flat strip in there you can rotate and see the greatest bubble activity