Was there a standard colour for Normandy vehicles?

Rick W

Question

It may sound like a daft question, but was there a standard colour used for British vehicles that went into Europe after the initial D-Day landings. Ive seen the "mickey mouse ears" type camoflage, but was wondering wether my Morris C8 would have been sporting a deep bronze green gloss, or if it would have just had an olive drab? Any ideas or suggestions? Also desperately on the lookout for 900x16 british tyres if anyone knows of anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Rick

7 answers to this question

Hello! I've been looking at a Royal Artillery website which gives details of individual RA regiments, what they comprised of (Anti-tank/A.A. cannon etc), and where they saw action in Europe. Surely some of the Morisses were sent to Europe as artillery limbers? I agree a lot went to Korea, India, Burma etc. I'm sure Ive got one very grainy picture of a GS in the European Theatre. Now showing my ignorance- what is OD16?

:-) olive drab number 15 it is a bit more light green than us drab. You may be right about the morris we use them as our back up look at http://www.thegarrison.org.uk to see some of our kit in action But they were rare out there so if you can find the photo please share it and lets see a pic of yours and any help I can offer just ask

David :-)

Many thanks for that bit of info, I will dig out the photo when I get back onto the computer at work. Great website. My Morris is in a state of being stripped down at the moment but will post pics when I suss out how to get them on here!(They dont make it easy do they!)

Regards Rick