Jeep Chassis tags

Wiggy

Just wondering if anybody can help with this. What would be the pit falls of buying a Jeep with no data plates or chassis tag. Is the number stamped on the chassis somewhere, is there some other way of registering it or would have to go on a Q plate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

On an MB, there should be a tag just behind the bumper, on the inside of the drivers side chassis rail.

If it is a GPW the number should be stamped on top of the chassis rail, near the brake flexi pipe mount/top shock mount on the driver's side, and should look something like this....

Ken

002.JPG

Edited by kpu121265

Thanks for the info gents, I was thinking more along the lines of if a Willys MB is missing its chassis tag (the one behind the bumper) & Data plates (on glovebox) is there somthing else that can be used for registering it?

What year is it?

If it's post '43, chances are it'll have body number because it will be composite.

Is there a number stamped across the top of the chassis rail, just behind the R/H front bumper mount? Could it be a Hotchkiss.

If you haven't bought it yet, perhaps you could post a link to the advert? There are a lot of eagle eyed pro's on here who will advise. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If the jeep isn't UK registered (or currently on a Q plate) and there are no chassis numbers (be it tag, or stampings) then the major pitfall is that it is highly likely you will not be able to obtain an age related number plate.

Body numbers can be used to verify the age of the body but bodies, especially jeep bodies, move from vehicle to vehicle. The chassis number generally is the main component used to verify the age of a vehicle.

I personally would not buy a jeep without a chassis number... I would also pay attention to whether the chassis number looks authentic or not.

Jon

Edited by JonP

one possible option you have, although I'm not condoning this, is to try and determine the approximate month/year of your MB - ACM tub number, chassis details (late/early) etc... Once you have decided when it was probably built, or at least an estimate that could fit with the vehicle details, then I'd get a repro chassis tag from Robert De Ruyter (who makes the absolute best repros) and he will engrave it with the chassis number you want. Once rivetted (Robert supplies the correct Drive Rivets) onto the chassis, that becomes your chassis number for registration purposes.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that Robert is in the business of trying to fool anyone with his repro chasis tags - he will supply what you require in good faith, on the basis that the information you supply is correct and you're entitled to use it. I have a second late Willys 'JEEP' chassis tag from my 45MB I sold a few years back, and I use this as a keyring.

On of my friends recently finished restoring a 44 GPW and when he came to register it (US import) the chassis number he found stamped into the metal was GPW1234567 (can't recall the number) and this matched the rest of the vehicle. The DVLA came back and said that chassis number was already registered to a Ford GPW Jeep, so it seems someone had previously 'chosen' that number for a different vehicle - what a coincidence! The DVLA treated the GPW as 'without chassis number' and he had to have the MVT make an inspection to confirm age related plate eligibility. In the end, he had to rivet a plate on the chassis which had a 21 (or 16?) digit chassis number the DVLA provided to him.

In summary, it's possible to get age related without a chassis number, but it might be easier to choose an unused number that's approximately correct, and just put that on your chassis before you try to register it. If you goto G503.com and search the serial numbers, you'll find something that's close for your MB's features/age.

I forgot to add, in my experience (3 imports registered in the past 5 years) the DVLA are only interested in there being a permanently fixed (stamped or rivetted) unique chassis identity number on the vehicle. If it has one, and MVT or IMPS have verified that number as 'such and such a year', then you're good to go.

Edited by Chris Warne

one possible option you have, although I'm not condoning this, is to try and determine the approximate month/year of your MB - ACM tub number, chassis details (late/early) etc... Once you have decided when it was probably built, or at least an estimate that could fit with the vehicle details, then I'd get a repro chassis tag from Robert De Ruyter (who makes the absolute best repros) and he will engrave it with the chassis number you want. Once rivetted (Robert supplies the correct Drive Rivets) onto the chassis, that becomes your chassis number for registration purposes.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that Robert is in the business of trying to fool anyone with his repro chasis tags - he will supply what you require in good faith, on the basis that the information you supply is correct and you're entitled to use it. I have a second late Willys 'JEEP' chassis tag from my 45MB I sold a few years back, and I use this as a keyring.

On of my friends recently finished restoring a 44 GPW and when he came to register it (US import) the chassis number he found stamped into the metal was GPW1234567 (can't recall the number) and this matched the rest of the vehicle. The DVLA came back and said that chassis number was already registered to a Ford GPW Jeep, so it seems someone had previously 'chosen' that number for a different vehicle - what a coincidence! The DVLA treated the GPW as 'without chassis number' and he had to have the MVT make an inspection to confirm age related plate eligibility. In the end, he had to rivet a plate on the chassis which had a 21 (or 16?) digit chassis number the DVLA provided to him.

In summary, it's possible to get age related without a chassis number, but it might be easier to choose an unused number that's approximately correct, and just put that on your chassis before you try to register it. If you goto G503.com and search the serial numbers, you'll find something that's close for your MB's features/age.

I forgot to add, in my experience (3 imports registered in the past 5 years) the DVLA are only interested in there being a permanently fixed (stamped or rivetted) unique chassis identity number on the vehicle. If it has one, and MVT or IMPS have verified that number as 'such and such a year', then you're good to go.

Have you got a link for Robert De Ruyter ? thanks

Just a quick one re 2 jeeps having the same S'n.. The DVLA does not seem to recognise that Ford and Willys made the jeep and when trying to register a 45 GPW they said that the chassis number was already being used ...I Knew that Mine was pukker so thought that someone had done the same thing and just picked a number at random ...

Turned out that the other jeep was a Mid 43 willys ....

Robert even has the repro dataplate he made for my 45 MB still shown as a stamping example. The plate he made was IDENTICAL to the original I had, but new.

4UPicPlate18.JPG

He also has a pic of my MB in the Stencils section. Robert has put alot of time & effort into re-creating the different letter styles that were used at the factory for the unbroken (hand-painted) Blue Drab hood numbers. Scroll down to Willys MB, 2 pics bottom left corner. I've since obtained an original Blue Drab sample which is almost perfect - the blue I used on the MB was from a pantomne reference and is a little too blue.

http://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPStencils.html