anti-tank gun in Italy

They used 17pdr equiped M4 sherman Ic and Vc post war so from the point of ammunition logistics it would be reasonable to have a gun park with towed 17pdr, -probably a lot more viable post war than the 3inch M5 used by Italian co-beligerant forces in the later part of WW2.

There was a picture in After the Battle from the 1980's (i think) of hundreds of 17pdrs and 25pdrs in a field near Monte Cassino. A friend went out to have a look for them, but by then they had all gone. what a shame. The 17pdr is the nicest looking gun from WW2 in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

The yard I bought my 25pdr from had hundreds of 17 and 25 pdrs in it - the majority had been more or less cut up, but there were some real gems. A shame that I could afford to buy just the one gun (and it's limber).... Funnily enough, there seemed to be so many 17pdrs about at the time that I thought that the 25pdr was the rarer, especially one that hadn't had a skoda barrell sustituted for the original - the Italians did alot of that - all academic of course seeing that all those guns finished up by being melted down.

The joys of hindsight, eh?

• 2 weeks later...