They are still out there, Chaps

gazzaw

Just spoke with an ex soldier of mine I hadn't seen for about 25 years and told him about my mil vehs etc.

He said that in a garage 20mts from his house there are two ks750 zundapps ex Afrika Korps motor bikes and sidecar also 1952 220s convertable mercedes the guy died 15 years ago and his wife wont part with them, what a waste.

So out there are rare finds, old barn finds and restoreable vehicles. These are apparently in V Good condition but not moved for all that time.

Gary

Just spoke with an ex soldier of mine I hadn't seen for about 25 years and told him about my mil vehs etc.

He said that in a garage 20mts from his house there are two ks750 zundapps ex Afrika Korps motor bikes and sidecar also 1952 220s convertable mercedes the guy died 15 years ago and his wife wont part with them, what a waste.

So out there are rare finds, old barn finds and restoreable vehicles. These are apparently in V Good condition but not moved for all that time.

Gary

A shame they won't be sold.

Findig stuff is hard enough let alone aquire it.

I had a sad moment a few months back when visiting were I grew up. Back in 97ish I visited a couple to chat about his time in the albrighton home guard, they had always been well to do and lived in a large Victorian house with a 1930s double garage added to the side and a huge garden. Peter gave me a photo of him in his uniform with there lab and pointed out where It had been taken in the garden, also pointed out where they had buried the filling from an insendery bomb and a few Hawkins grenades! They gave me a box full of wartime documents and some photos they had copies of, I pointed out the petrol coupons and he then showed me to the garage where the Austin with petrol coupon matching number plate sat in pristine condition! Anyway, when I drove past this year the house had been stripped of it's garage and the entire garden was torn out and graded with the concrete pads going in for three or more houses, time marches on I guess:cry:

Who knows what happened to the car and well equipped workshop...I have the petrol coupons and accompanying stories though, they haven't been lost.

Edited by ajmac

Similar sort of case with a Stolly in a nearby village. It sat on a farm rotting, still wearing all of its swim gear (including drive shafts), and had been outside for around 20 years. Every day I went past it on the bus to school, watching it deteriorate further. Found out who the owner was, and went and offered him good money for it. He absolutely refused to sell, despite the fact he hadn't used it for years. Eventually the farmer contacted him telling him to move it otherwise he would sort out its sale/removal, he got no reply, and unknown to me sold it off to a dealer. They brought along some batteries and fresh fuel and got it running, and after at least 5 years of not being started it 'ran like a sewing machine'.

They took the beast away for far less than scrap prices, and I believe it was dismantled for parts.... :(

Similar sort of case with a Stolly in a nearby village. It sat on a farm rotting, still wearing all of its swim gear (including drive shafts), and had been outside for around 20 years. Every day I went past it on the bus to school, watching it deteriorate further. Found out who the owner was, and went and offered him good money for it. He absolutely refused to sell, despite the fact he hadn't used it for years. Eventually the farmer contacted him telling him to move it otherwise he would sort out its sale/removal, he got no reply, and unknown to me sold it off to a dealer. They brought along some batteries and fresh fuel and got it running, and after at least 5 years of not being started it 'ran like a sewing machine'.

They took the beast away for far less than scrap prices, and I believe it was dismantled for parts.... :(

Gut wrenchingly annoying for that to happen

Used to drive by a very early series 1 80" landy parked next to a rundown house and slowly disappearing into the bushes. The elderly lady there said it belonged to her son. Phoned him and offered decent money, explained I was a genuine enthusiast etc. No way he was selling. Phoned a few more times over 2-3 years and said I wanted to restore it and not make a trialler. He wouldn't even talk to me. 6 months later it went so I stopped and asked the old lady and she said it went for scrap along with various bits of farm machinery around the house. Shameful. She'd even paid someone to take the stuff away....:cry::cry: