is it viable?

mat777

Question

hi everyone

i have had in my mind for several months a germ of an idea... it seems that prices for jaguar xk6 engines have rocketed (about 2k for a decent one?) whilst you can still pick up perfectly sound j60 from withams for £500 tops..... you can probably see where im going here!

how easy (and cheap) is it to strip the green paint, convert to 12v, and fit an e-type inlet manifold? i know the compression ratio is also different due to the cam, but i presume the carbs would make most of the power difference? would it be a viably profitable operation? i need something to keep me occupied over the summer!

regards, matt

6 answers to this question

how easy (and cheap) is it to strip the green paint, convert to 12v, and fit an e-type inlet manifold? i know the compression ratio is also different due to the cam, but i presume the carbs would make most of the power difference? would it be a viably profitable operation? i need something to keep me occupied over the summer!

Matt,

The J60 camshafts are the same part number as the cars. The pistons are lower compression on a J60, with slightly longer skirt. Cams do not influence compression ratios.

Hi Matt,

Jaguar E Type engines are quite a lot different to the later XJ6 ones.

I have one of the first J60s converted from an E type civillian engine to military spec in 1968.

It was fitted to a prototype Fox (and later this year will be fitted back into a prototype Fox).

Apart from the obvious external differences, such as carbs, manifolds, starter, distributor, engine mountings, flywheel, crankshaft damper, etc. there are also internal differences.

The camshafts are 2-bolt fixing to the drive sprockets and have an external end thrust restrictor.

The exhaust valves have a thinner stem and the cam followers (tappet) are smaller, being interchangeable with the inlet ones.

The connecting rods are a different pattern having a different shaped strengthenning web and are polished on the side faces to resist cracking. they have a castelleted nut big-end bolt fixing.

The block casting is quite different and has a much smoother line with fewer core plugs.

The rocker covers are smooth and not ribbed. They were polished to a shiny finish.

The sump is a different shape and has side ribbing fo extra cooling.

All the oil pressure relief block and the filtration system is different on the civillian engines.

Having mentioned some of the differences, most of these changes were made after military trials of the civillian engine showed up several shortcomings, mainly on the cooling. These changes were then incorporated in the production for the car engines. Most Jaguar racing enthusiasts use modified later (or civillian) engines as they are more reliable (and cool better).

So the conversion to a £2,000 E-Type engine would be quit a job! Also it would be quite expensive...The ribbed sumps are hard to find (E Type owners keep breaking them on speed bumps). The smooth rocker covers are also a treasured item.

Regards

Jon

Engine4,8.jpg

Engine4,9.jpg

Engine4,5.jpg

Engine4,4.jpg

A magazine some years back (might have been practical classics) converted a J60 engine to civi spec. can't remember what was done though.

I belive that the later 4.2 block from about '68 on is the same as the J60 or rather the J60 is base on the later block