ONAN Generator

Can anyone supply any information on this generator supplied by the British Motor Boat Company via ONAN in the America.

I assumed when I saw this generator advertised that it was part of a range of 1260 watt generators manufactured from a round 1943 onwards, but this seems to predate this later range.

Gen 1.JPG

Glen Plate 2.JPG

Gen Plate.JPG

Bigger than the Chore Horse sets. They are 300 watt. Wonder if that one was used for battery trucks?

It's one of the transportable battery charging engines, certainly. You need the switchboard that goes with it in order to make it work, because the field regulator rheostat is part of the switchboard.

(pause for rummage)

Now that is _damned_ annoying! I've got the Signal Data EMERS for the No1, 3, 4 & 5 but not the No.2... I suspect the WS26 one (Tels F320) was filed in place of Power F320.

Anyway, all the others are 0 to 35 volt, 0 to 36 amps, for charging btteries up to 24 volt and 100/125 AH maximum capacity. The switchboard provides 4 independent charging circuits of up to 20 amp capacity so that a mix of battery sizes can be charged simultaneously.

Chris.

Chris

I also have examples of the No.5 Jap set and the No.3 Petter Set.

What I am trying to confirm is if this set is part of that range or they started the numbering again later in the war.

Wireless for the Warrior refers to 5 sets manufactured by JAP, Petter, Villiars, Norman and Douglas. Both of mine date from 1943 when I think this range was introduced.

If anyone is doing an early war senerio this set may be available for sale or exchange for another generator in this range.

I also have examples of the Power Cable and Panel but I am looking for others (Switch Board Charging 1260 watt No.1 Cat Number ZA 6573).

If you or anyone else has manuals or other data for generators in this range I would be interesrting to know.

I am particularly interested at the moment in a picture of the Villiers version as I have recently purchased a post war example and I do not know how much the design differs from the war-time version.

Gen Cable.JPG

Gen Panel.JPG

Edited by REME 245

Chris

I also have examples of the No.5 Jap set and the No.3 Petter Set.

What I am trying to confirm is if this set is part of that range or they started the numbering again later in the war.

Wireless for the Warrior refers to 5 sets manufactured by JAP, Petter, Villiars, Norman and Douglas. Both of mine date from 1943 when I think this range was introduced.

(snip)

If you or anyone else has manuals or other data for generators in this range I would be interesrting to know.

I am particularly interested at the moment in a picture of the Villiers version as I have recently purchased a post war example and I do not know how much the design differs from the war-time version.

I think the range started very early and that a different number was allocated to each engine manufacturer in order to keep any confusion over spar parts and manuals to a minimum. The Signal Data EMERs are all dated 1944 because the REME were formed rather late on in WW2 and before that it would have been repaired by RAOC, etc. - there are 1944 EMERs for WS No. 1, 2 & 3, all labelled OBSOLETE.

Anyway,

Charging Set 1260W No.1 - 2-cylinder horizontally-opposed engine, made by Norman

Charging Set 1260W No.2 - no data to hand

Charging Set 1260W No.3 - Single cylinder vertical engine, made by Petter.

Charging Set 1260W No.4 - 2-cylinder horizontally-opposed engine, made by Douglas

Charging Set 1260W No.5 - Single cylinder vertical engine, made by JAP.

They appear to use the same generator design (manufactured by a variety of companies) and also the same charging switchboard (something of a relief).

The data (Part 0) EMER just lists the size, weight and specifications but has a line drawing of the unit if that's any help. (I may be able to scan them at some point.

The Petter manual (for No.3) is on the WS19 group website and can be requested in the usual way. (Doc 1612 - Charging Set 1260W No 3 - Working Instructions, 3rd Edn, ZB11923, May 1945)

Best,

Chris.

Chris

I would still suspect that the missing number 2 set is in fact the Villiers version.

I think these ONANS were acquired in small numbers early in the war prior to Lend Lease.

They are probably therefore very rare but not my main area of interest.

Quite why the Petter version should be described as obsolete is strange because this model and the JAP were retained the longest in post-war service. Both of mine were rebuilt during the 1960's.

If you do have a picture of the Villiers version I would be interested to see that.

I obtained copies of the JAP and Petter version from the Royal Signal Museum. I attached views of the JAP from the manual. I have a spare one of these available for exchange.

Neil

JAP 1.jpg

JAP.jpg

Chris

Quite why the Petter version should be described as obsolete is strange because this model and the JAP were retained the longest in post-war service. Both of mine were rebuilt during the 1960's.

Neil

Nonono! It's the Wireless Sets No.1, 2 & 3 that had Signal Data EMERs issued pre-marked as "OBSOLETE" the big charging sets carried on forever, being used for battery exchange where charging sets could not be used without giving the position away - a "milk round" would operate, collecting discharged batteries and delivering fresh ones together with any other supplies that might be needed.

(I did chuckle over the Ron Larby memoir of the Korean war and the anecdote of David "Lord" Kitchener arranging all the discharged batteries in front of the switchboard as if on parade, and haranguing them.)

Chris.

Having paid more attention to 'Wireless for the Warrior', I note that this set was the standard generator in the Low Power version of the Bedford QL Radio Radio Truck, and the alternative specified for the High Power version.

Also specified in the Canadian version.

Obviously this example pre-dates this use, but a lot more must have been aquired rhan I originally thought. Strange how rare they appear to be but Coventry Climax Generators replaced most Onan soon after the war and 12 volt generators have limited civilian use.

The High Power version normally carried the larger Onan.

Chris - I commented on the Petter being obsolete as you said the number 3 was listed as such in your EMER.

• 11 years later...

Just re kindle an old thread, 

I have here No 6 set that I recently acquired. 

First few images still packed in its original packing case, later pictures sat on pallet for more detailed pictures. 

Villiers engine, 1943 data plate, 

Has anyone information how this set was set up? How does the power get to the distribution board? 

E7E21821-338F-4678-B35D-E6CA2E7BCA22.jpeg

041D5367-7F13-4449-A888-AA668CCF5FD3.jpeg

7ECFCBA9-5284-4DD2-AAE1-2C536087C297.jpeg

F0E971BB-05EC-4CDE-A215-CDDA6B6BBAC4.jpeg

EF8A9488-10D3-49C0-AEB3-17A6579D059C.jpeg

BF861EB5-2206-4BF2-A9A6-32EB18329D1E.jpeg

• Like 1

There were a number of different variants of the 1260w charging sets, I have one powered by a Petter engine. Some had JAP, Norman and Douglas engines. Yours was produced by the British Motor Boat company see link here;

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/British_Motor_Boat_Manufacturing_Co

The control board was positioned away from the charging set and linked with a large cable. They could charge banks of batteries.

Very nice.   Sadly worth very little and when I had to clear my workshop a few years ago I scraped a post-war dated one of those.

The BMB connection is interesting as it also appears on ONAN Generators supplied to this country as at the top of this thread.   The most BMB were doing is assembling Generators on frames they were probably making.

Edited by REME 245