WW1

Jack

Now i can tell you all about this one. I had an E-mail from a French Journalist saying that they had discovered a WW1 FWD but could not identify exactly what type and could i help. After looking at a great number of photos it turned out that it was actually a "United" truck from about 1920, which had an FWD radiator and a Wisconsin engine (also out of an FWD) fitted. United existed for only a short time and built trucks out of proprietary part. This United truck is probably unique. What makes it especially odd is that there is no reason why it should be in France. AT the time it was manufactured France was awash with thousands of cheap ex military trucks so it is very odd that United might export one to france.

The body of this one appears to be off a horse drawn carriage. It was also in a severe flood at some stage as the engine and gearbox were full of water and the truck had a "high tide" mark halfway up it.

It has been restored and i was offered it for €40,000 (ridiculously high price). It was recently seen for sale in CMV magazine advertised as a WW1 truck for £14,000 (still too expensive). It is a mongrel truck, but very interesting. I would still think that it was not worth more than £6,000.

Tim (too)

Exactly that. It was advertised initially as a WW1 FWD and the radiator seems to indicate that, however it wont match up with anything in a book. What really gave the game away as to what it was, was a metal plate on the back axle which was covered in yuck and another smaller plate on the chassis. It is very easy to get taken in in this game and buy something that later proves to be something entiraly different. All part of the fun.

Tim (too)