Holiday snaps

Great War truck

Not what you are thinking of, I'm sure, but in the 1990's we had an amphib event in that part of Italy and I know the late Jack Tomlin of Tooele Ordnance took his DUKW there and sailed down the Grand Canal, that sort of area. Dont suppose even Jack would drive into the square, but it is the sort of thing he might have done.

Gordon

Degsy, you have it. At the end of the war Popski loaded all their Jeeps in to a Landing craft and landed them all in St Marks Square. They drove around the square several times. The only vehicles ever to have done so. I think it is something that we should recreate. I suggested it to a Policeman in the square, but he suggested that i go back home.

Yes, i have seen a picture somewhere of a DUKW in the Grand Canal. must be the same one.

You are correct Tim, just checked Peniakoffs' book and he says they loaded 5 jeeps in 3 R.C.L's not DUKW's and sailed from Chioggia to Venice. After unloading the jeeps at the quay on the Canal San Marco he led the 5 jeeps 7 times round the square, this was a plan he had mentioned to Capt. J.D.Campbell (leader of 'S' patrol) when they were on their way from Taranto to Bari 18 months previously.

Yes would seem to be Tim, although Peniakoff doesn't mention the exact date in his book it took place just after Chioggia surrendered to some of his forces which appears to have been on 28th April so thta would tie up with the date of 30th April for the photo.