American Vehicles "Captured"

FREDERIC

P-51B/C with the malcom hood.

If you look at the P-51 above the bonnet of the car you can see the fuselage at the rear is not level with the engines line.

A D model would look like a straight line from engine to the rudder fillet with a slight bump just to the rear of the canopy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx_6vVKSt1xb35retyCcl_8FPCCIFpC9GWZRDfL0oxa0YlU8opqQ

Here is a D model at roughly the same angle. Note the top line is almost straight.

Lastly, note in the original picture there is no fillet at the transition of the fuselage to the rudder. That alone is a defining characteristic of the D model.... as well as the canopy.

Edited by deadline

P-51B/C with the malcom hood.

If you look at the P-51 above the bonnet of the car you can see the fuselage at the rear is not level with the engines line.

A D model would look like a straight line from engine to the rudder fillet with a slight bump just to the rear of the canopy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx_6vVKSt1xb35retyCcl_8FPCCIFpC9GWZRDfL0oxa0YlU8opqQ

Here is a D model at roughly the same angle. Note the top line is almost straight.

Lastly, note in the original picture there is no fillet at the transition of the fuselage to the rudder. That alone is a defining characteristic of the D model.... as well as the canopy.

I was gonna say that but I thought I was being picky....

I stand corrected,though as Adrian says the early D models didn't have the fin fillet(P-51D-5) and I thought that is what these were.

Frederic do you have any info.on the source of the photo?.

Sorry, there is no legend behind the picture :(

• 9 months later...