British vehicle radios systems - any amateurs out there ?

Fugly

Just a thought, (and didn't know where else to post it) but all you chaps out there with various military radio kit fitted to your vehicles, have you ever considered trying it out?

Eg - if you have an HF set like the clansman 321 you can tune in and listen with impunity. that bits legal. You wont need aerial tuner, just a reasonable aerial, something that will receive. Just dont transmit under any circumstances.

At around 14.176 Mhz you can listen to conversations from all over europe, (sometimes further afield). If it sparks an interest, you can undertake a basic radio licence exam for about £40.00.

Yes its geeky , but facinating. I have a licence and recently sat in my ferret talking to a guy in Canada. Makes great background noise if you have your vehicle on display.

PLEASE REMEMBER :DO NOT TRANSMIT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UNLESS YOU ARE LICENCED BY OFCOM.

Edited by Fugly
keep the PC lobby happy !

Yes,

Another one here.

I understand that VMARS (Vintage Military Amateur Radio Society) have regular nets using military equipment.

While not wishing to wet anybodys fireworks, the part about receiving without a license is on a set designed for emission is incorrect. So if you have Clansman / Larkspur or any other equipment that is capable of transmitting, you must have a licence. It does not matter if you only listen if the transmit element is broken. If a set is designed to "emit" you must hold a licence. If you have a set like an R209, designed solely for receiving, no problem.

OFCOM will direct you to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 for clarification, of which I have put and extract below.

No person shall establish or use any station for wireless telegraphy or instal or use any

apparatus for wireless telegraphy except under the authority of a licence in that behalf granted by

the Postmaster General, and any person who establishes or uses any station for wireless telegraphy

or instals or uses any apparatus for wireless telegraphy except under and in accordance with such a

licence shall be guilty of an offence under this Act:

Nothing in this section shall authorise the inclusion, in any wireless telegraphy licence

relating solely to apparatus not designed or adapted for emission (as opposed to reception)

I obtained a license because I had Clansman 321 and 353 for my Land Rover FFR, and could not even find out if it worked without facing a penalty.

Edited by Paul Drake

Fair comment Paul ! I stand corrected :D

And I presume that from that extract quoted its also against the regulation to install that type of equipment without a licence ? Anyway its worth mentioning that a foundation licence can be easily achieved without a huge cost , only needs a little study and is highly recommended for HMV enthusiasts to breathe a little more life into their vehicles.

Yes,

Another one here.

I understand that VMARS (Vintage Military Amateur Radio Society) have regular nets using military equipment.

While not wishing to wet anybodys fireworks, the part about receiving without a license is on a set designed for emission is incorrect. So if you have Clansman / Larkspur or any other equipment that is capable of transmitting, you must have a licence. It does not matter if you only listen if the transmit element is broken. If a set is designed to "emit" you must hold a licence. If you have a set like an R209, designed solely for receiving, no problem.

OFCOM will direct you to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 for clarification, of which I have put and extract below.

No person shall establish or use any station for wireless telegraphy or instal or use any

apparatus for wireless telegraphy except under the authority of a licence in that behalf granted by

the Postmaster General, and any person who establishes or uses any station for wireless telegraphy

or instals or uses any apparatus for wireless telegraphy except under and in accordance with such a

licence shall be guilty of an offence under this Act:

Nothing in this section shall authorise the inclusion, in any wireless telegraphy licence

relating solely to apparatus not designed or adapted for emission (as opposed to reception)

I obtained a license because I had Clansman 321 and 353 for my Land Rover FFR, and could not even find out if it worked without facing a penalty.

Me too, but I am on the other side of the world!

I started out in 1984 with a novice license ..I used a 122 set ( 1945 set made here ) but the vfo was unstable. Luckily it has a xtal position too . I had a xtal for 3535 and i pounded away on CW for ages ..even had a few DX contacts with USA hams on 7mhz .

I even had a go with a No. 11 set ...horrible thing ... with much rf coming out on spurious freq.

The coastwatchers sets are very nice..xtal locked. Known as the 3BZ .

I am currently putting a Larkspur C13 station in my 1950 LAnd Rover

Mike VK3CZ

Fugly,

As you say, it is easy to obtain a Foundation licence. I took mine at age 53 and passed first go! One of our local members is 7 years old and passed. On the point of licensing, I do believe the OFCOM might turn a blind eye to installation if folks were only listening. Technically, it is not possible under the regulations to use an ex-military set at all due to the construction regulations. However OFCOM seem to tolerate it until someone causes interference or operates outside the prescribed bands. VMARS members will probably confirm this.

For Rover8FFR, look up the RSGB (Radio Society of great Britain) website, there will be a list of local clubs where you can find instructors to teach you up to Foundation licence standard. Do it, it's easy and will be so satisfying when you get it and can legally operate.

If you have any trouble finding a club, we'll have a look for you.

Fugly,

As you say, it is easy to obtain a Foundation licence. I took mine at age 53 and passed first go! One of our local members is 7 years old and passed. On the point of licensing, I do believe the OFCOM might turn a blind eye to installation if folks were only listening. Technically, it is not possible under the regulations to use an ex-military set at all due to the construction regulations. However OFCOM seem to tolerate it until someone causes interference or operates outside the prescribed bands. VMARS members will probably confirm this.

For Rover8FFR, look up the RSGB (Radio Society of great Britain) website, there will be a list of local clubs where you can find instructors to teach you up to Foundation licence standard. Do it, it's easy and will be so satisfying when you get it and can legally operate.

You are a Gent. Thanks. I'll have a surf now.....Sorry no Clansman Pun intended ;)

FOR ROVER8FFR I agree with everything paul said , and the course is straightforward and quite quick. Mine was over a weekend with about 6 hours instruction on a Saturday, then returned on Sunday morning for some revision followed by a multiple choice exam.

The instruction was useful, and gives a good insight into technical aspects of how radios work. This should allow you to do some low power operating. I have a Clansman 320 backpack radio, which has the added bonus I can take it anywhere within reason.

There is a lot of Clansman equipment available at the moment ( I picked my 320 up for £100) via Withams and it is an interesting hobby, which works well with the Military vehicle interest.:-D

Fugly,