USAAF Jeep Paint Markings ?

thedawnpatrol

Hi Chaps

I'm finally getting around to giving my 42 GPW a brithday, and want to repaint her as a Unitied States Army Air Force

Jeep, but I have several questions.

Fristly I want her to represent a vehicle used by the 384th Bomb Group based at Grafton Underwood, so what marking should i have on the bumpers ?

also would the hood number have had 'U.S.A.A.F' above or the standard 'U.S.A.' ?

would she have had the star on the hood ?

Lastly, can anyone post any photos of jeeps in simular markings or indead any USAAF jeeps ?

Thanks for your help

Jules

The bumper would start with 8 for 8th Air Force, then a star, I think two or three inch ( can't be sure )

Following that would be the squadron number.....

544th Bombardment Squadron

545th Bombardment Squadron

546th Bombardment Squadron

547th Bombardment Squadron

Then the individual vehicle number, for example.....

8 * 384BG 544 7

p51b6.jpg

The rear bumperettes would usually be inverted. I've been told that this lowers the top edge making it more easy for guys in flight gear to use it as a step to climb into the Jeep. I've heard no other reasons for this change.

The markings on the rear bumperettes follow the front.

Left -------- Right

8 * --------- 544

384BG ------- 7

p51c4.jpg

I've never seen any wartime Jeep with USAAF on the hood, only USA. All the Jeeps I've seen have various types of star.

Amongst the many pages on the 100th BG website, there are a number of Jeeps to be seen, but you'll have to go searching - http://www.100thbg.com/index.htm

Hi Jules,

I have several original photos of 384th vehicles,I will post some scans. I will also check the size of the star following the 8 as my Command Car still carries it's original markings applied during the war.

Many Eighth Air Force vehicles also had a white edging applied to the wings.

Pics to follow later today.

Thanks Guys that a great start, thanks Steve

I don't know a lot about the USAAF, I've always stuck to RAF, but i wanted my jeep to represent the 384 BG because a few years ago we dug up the remains of a B17, 42 5852 called 'The Natural', she crashed on the way back from a raid. the site is very near to my home.

I don't know the squadron ?

Jules

I just double checked the size of the original bumper markings on my Command Car,the letters and numbers are 4" high and the star following the 8 is 2 3/4". I would suggest

8* 384 BG 547 11 in that format would be correct,though you could use any vehicle number you like. Original stencils were made from zinc and never lay completely flat so the edge of the markings would probably show some spray drift.

Edited by M.Rimmer
Spelling

Thanks M for all this, it has been really useful. I also noticed in your last photo the black out sheilds on the head lights

another interesting feature.

Started striping her down last night (the GPW !) ready for the transformation. will post photos when finished.

Jules

Also I noticed in that last picture, the hood star, can just about be seen, it looks to have the ring around it ?

That subject has been bugging me, I wonder if early vehicles the star had no ring, but those supplied later did?

I noticed in the same picture the triangle below windscreen. ??

The blackout shield is quite often seen on Eighth AF vehicles. The solid ring around the star appears on many Eighth vehicles but I have not seen a reference to any specific dates,ditto for the white edges to front wings and rear body corners.

I have quite a large collection of un-published photos showing Eighth vehicles and I was thinking of perhaps putting together a book on the subject,but I need to do more research into the marking regulations.

More pics to follow.