USAAF Jeep Paint Markings ?

thedawnpatrol

No I'm afraid that's it for Jeeps Steve,unless I find more. Generally units would use the same stencils and marking formats for all vehicles I would think,the zinc stencils being re-usable. Is that original 100th BG vehicle stencil still on display at TA?.

• 9 years later...

I am looking for original photographs of jeeps with the front and rear bumper markings for the eight Air Force 384 bomb group. I am wanting to mark my jeep with my uncles unit and needs to know the correct markings for his unit. Your help is greatly appreciated, Kai

The front bumper would typically have 8 * 384BG  XXX  YY ( xxx being the squadron number and yy the vehicle number )

The left rear bumperette would have 8 * and below it 384BG. The right bumperette would have the three digit Bombardment Squadron number ( 544BS, 545BS, 546BS, 547BS ) and below that probably a one or two digit vehicle number.

A vehicle could belong to one of the many support units within the Group such as the HQ, Chemical section, Photo Department, MP, Sub Depot etc.

If you haven't already, have a look through the Group website - https://photos.384thbombgroup.com

You may find some pictures to base your markings on.