Newbury 4x4- auto jumble-Sun.3rd.April

Invited by friends to go down to this event. Had never come accross it since owning a Landi.

What a queue to get in!! What a lot of stalls to get round!!! Never managed them all. My big mistake, did not do a list, did not take a tape measure, worst of all no wheelbarrow. Met a couple of folks from the forum. Just about every series of Landi was well covered, even a Airportable on a trailer being broken for parts. There were wings, bonnets new galv. panels, bumpers etc. etc. Radio kit, mil. surplus, paints, oils. Only a very short, light shower of rain.:)

For my project picked up screen, stick set,bits and pieces, light switch plus a little more radio kit.

Dont know if this event is just once a year but would go again just for a rummage allthough a very long day.

2011-04-03 Newbury (5).JPG

2011-04-03 Newbury (7).JPG

2011-04-03 Newbury (8).jpg

2011-04-03 Newbury (9).JPG

Is that correct Clive without a Drawbar towing pintle. The number plate illumination and supprt / backing plate also look incorrect, but that may be a daily / modern adaptation.

Does look very well restored though.

Personally I think it sound a little expensive given the missing originality items. I apologise if this a Foo Par and offends someone.

I do. However confess to being unknowledgeable regarding Brockhouse Trailers.

I do. However confess to being unknowledgeable regarding Brockhouse Trailers.

Me too but I think these early one were not actually military trailers.

I saw a very nice grey binned trailer which was being used by a trader. I think that was ex-electricity board. I followed it home (& the Defender towing it!) & shall we say I had difficulty keeping up!

Me too but I think these early one were not actually military trailers.

I saw a very nice grey binned trailer which was being used by a trader. I think that was ex-electricity board. I followed it home (& the Defender towing it!) & shall we say I had difficulty keeping up!

If it was the new Puma engined Defender then the 300Tdi has no chance! Even with a trailer.

Lovely looking trailer - I think the proportions of those are just about "right", especially behind a Land-Rover.

I don't doubt the price reflects the time/cost/effort in getting it to that condition. My one criticism would be that, having taken the time necessary to get the whole thing looking so nice, it's totally spoilt for me by the fact he's not taken the small step of lining up the slotted screws on his data plates... :shocked: A trivial detail I know, but my old apprentice instructors would have ripped me to pieces for such "sloppiness".

I'm currently chewing over plans to build myself a small trailer for camping etc and must get up close to one of these one day to run a tape measure over it to get the sizes down. I just have to decide whether to build it "light" and unbraked, or "sturdy" and braked. Makes a fair difference to costs one way or the other!

All the best, Glen.

PS, so as not to hijack the thread completely, I always thought the Newbury site was ideal for this type of autojumble. IMHO the "Old Sodbury" crowd really missed a trick when they decided to pull out from here and piggyback onto other shows instead.

I always thought the Newbury site was ideal for this type of autojumble. IMHO the "Old Sodbury" crowd really missed a trick when they decided to pull out from here and piggyback onto other shows instead.

Yes I agree.

I even saw none other than "The Old Sod" (as he refers to himself) going round the stalls!