Mike C intro

Mike C

Gents,

I have been reminded that I should introduce myself. I'm a retired Head of Military Heraldry and Technology at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Australia, and my wife and I have since moved to Colbert, Washington, USA (she's a well-known artist: Krystii Melaine). I continue to research and write on military subjects, with regular contributions to 'Army Motors', 'Ironsides', the AAVA Newsletter and 'Wartime'. I've had one or two articles in CMV over the years (long time ago!). Most recent was two chapters in the RAAC School of Armour 70th Anniversary history, one on Centurion FOV the other on M113A1 FOV.

I've published several books, the last being 'Mud and Dust: Australian Army Vehicles and Artillery in Vietnam' (New Holland, 2009), and am working on more. I owned/restored several wheeled armoured and soft skinned vehicles, particularly CMPs, but these days concentrate on the research.

Look forward to reading many interesting posts, and contributing where I can.

Mike C

Yes, Tony: quite a range! The MHT Section had 20 staff, and were/are responsible for a collection of a few million articles, ranging from buttons, badges and medals (the AWM holds a large collection of VCs, among many others) to ships, tanks and aircraft, plus everything in between. It was hectic, but very rewarding work. I still get to answer the occassional inquiry from my former staff: they are a great bunch of people.

Mark, as for images of Air Defence Guards ('Adgies'), I may have some images from my visits to Tindal Air Base in the mid-1990s, but better you log into the Aust Defence Website and go to the images section, where you should find quite a number of up to date images of the RAAF-ies at work.

Mike C