Abbot Equilibrator

andym

When freeing and dropping the gun crutch on my Abbot the effort required to elevate the gun was enormous, due to the equilibrator system having no air pressure in it.

The equilibrator is an air over hydraulic system with a ram that balances the weight of the barrel to keep the effort required to elevate the gun constant regardless of angle. The pressure gauge on mine reads zero, as does every other one I've seen in private hands; it's supposed to be charged to 875psi. I suspect that either they eventually leak or may even have been vented on safety grounds before disposal. Does anyone have experience in renovating this or similar systems?

Andy

IMG_2062aw.jpg

Sounds similar to the what we call accumulators on heavy earthmoving equipment. I would call the local JCB or CAT dealer and see what they can do for you. The system on our 1975 IH TD25 Dozer leaks off if it sits for an extended period of time. I'm not sure how to go about leak testing something that holds 875 psi. other than checking that all the fittings are tight and not cracked with the pressure at zero and then hope for the best when it is charged.

Edited by wrward

Andy,

I have vauge memories of this, and it was recharged - but cant remember who done it??? but it all worked find back in the days when I owned it sure it was refered to as the accumulators as said.... sorry cant remember more...

Thanks both - I'll have a chat with someone who knows about commercial systems and see what they say. My main concerns are the safety side (pressure testing) and whether the diaphragm between the air and hydraulics is still intact.

Andy

Andy, I note from your photo that the breech block is down in the open position. If this is left in this state for a long period of time. It WILL weaken the block return springs & you will find the breech will not shut correctly. Push the two extractor levers forward with a piece of wood & the block will rise . (The wood will save you losing your fingers!) You CAN do this With one hand holding the breech opening lever & let the block up under control after releasing the two extractors. I also note, it needs a good clean up & greasing of the bare metal surfaces! :D

Andy, I note from your photo that the breech block is down in the open position. If this is left in this state for a long period of time. It WILL weaken the block return springs & you will find the breech will not shut correctly. Push the two extractor levers forward with a piece of wood & the block will rise . (The wood will save you losing your fingers!) You CAN do this With one hand holding the breech opening lever & let the block up under control after releasing the two extractors. I also note, it needs a good clean up & greasing of the bare metal surfaces! :D

Yes - agreed! I've already tried pushing the extractors forward but they're very stiff. A C-spanner has just been found on eBay to release the spring so I can dismantle and clean the breech mechanism later.

Andy

Yes - agreed! I've already tried pushing the extractors forward but they're very stiff. A C-spanner has just been found on eBay to release the spring so I can dismantle and clean the breech mechanism later.

Andy

PLENTY Of Oil for now, & work the extractors back & forth ONE at a time until loosened up!

When all lubed & ok, then a good time to strip & clean properly.

ALL internal Breech componants are Burnished bright & then greased.

• 2 months later...

On the equilabrator, I believe that gauge is fed off the fill port and this is only open if the valve on the far end of the accumulator is opened. So you would need to crack the valve to see what the pressure is (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE DRAIN PLUG INSTALLED IN CASE THERE IS PRESSURE IN THERE). I believe this is to protect the gauge from "shocks" in the system. We have yet to successfuly get our system working, most of the collectors I've talked to are lucky enough that theirs just works...