tight squeeze

Willyslancs

During the War Lancasters were moved by road between RAF Waddington to Avro's repair facilities at Bracebridge Heath. All the lamp posts on the A15 were hinged so that they could be lowered and raised as the Lancaster was towed past them!

This was not just a Wartime necessity, in 1946 four Lancaster Bombers were converted to Lancastrian Freighters at Bracebridge Heath, and these also must have been trundled down the A15. Later two Avro &)& experimental aircraft were assembled there and moved to Waddington for flight( circa 1951-53) then back again for modifications etc.

http://www.n-kesteven.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/1219/North_Kestevens_Airfield_Trail.pdf

See pages 9 and 10 for basic information.

Edited by antarmike

Up until a few years ago (5 I think?) all the lap posts and street signs etc etc around here I live were either hinged or removable to allow AL's coming from or going to the docks to pass through. I remember as a lad seeing a Pickford unit - two big Scammell's with a massive trailer negotiating a 90 deg bend. I think the payload was a rather large transformer of some sort all sheeted up of some sort. I recall being impressed back then at seeing the two tractor turning one way and the rear of the trailer turning the other....

Anyways - the street lights were laid back and the street signs and bollards removed as it passed - there was a council gang working ahead to lower/remove them and another behind restoring them

The road that runs past the bus station in Newcastle (under lyme) called Barracks rd has removable bollards to allow ALE to move loads from GEC at Stafford to points north (would be something to see a aircraft being trundled along that road though!!!)

Mark

Nice photo, Tigercat it is!

Reminds me, I must get to Duxford this year.

I hope your not going with the intention of seeing the Fighter Collection's Tigercat which has lived their for many years - It was sold and relocated to the US last year I believe!