The Promise

Tony B

Anybody else been watching this on Channel 4? Good story and a lot of fun vehicle spotting. It has been filmed mostly in Israel and uses a lot of their kit. The start of the first episode had some balck and white WW2 film. there was an intresting bettle back quad with a sort of wodden basket strapped round the back. Also OY's with Div markings.

'Modern' kit incldes an M3 haltrack, a Jeep (With the obvious modern indicators) and a M37 Dodge. There is also what looks like a GMC workshop, sevral GMC soft tops and an equally intresting 'Armoured bus'. Biggest cock ups, in the first episode the M3 crew had obviously modern intercom, and the insist on holding the Stens by the magazine.

Tony, MY biggest pet hate also! 'Users' holding ANY Sub Machine gun by the magazine!

You just DONT do it, unless of course you actually WANT the gun to jam & stop on you!!!! :mad:

Having repaired & test Fired many Thousands of SMG & related class weapons. I can confirm that if you hold a Sten (for example) by the mag. If the housing is worn a little, the mag will pull over & back & the feedhorns of the bolt will hit the mag & jam the gun. You do NOT!!!! Hold ANY SMG class of gun by the mag!!!!! :mad: (Stamp Collector rant over!.....)

Pathetic I know, but it's the same for me as it is for vehicle collectors who see incorrect Aerial mounts on Wagons Etc! I was trained in the way of: There is only one way to do it, The CORRECT way!

When we did some filming for a NI scene, we handed one fo the actors the sterling the first thing he did was mimick firing it holding on to the magazine, We smiled let him have his fun and then corrected him, when the filming was done, he held it spot on.

We also advised another TV company that one of the biggest FK ups when people do Falkland battle scenes is attacking in CEMO with Bergens on. He listened and went ok and promptly forgot what we told him and because we could not be there for the filming and when the programme aired he attacked in full CEMO with large packs on :nut:

Jon

Yes I've watched it -for TV its reasonable but then with Peter Kosminsky as writer it's going to be of a better quality than most stuff. I'm mainly watching for how it deals with how it portrays the Jews etc-I find it interesting that the elderly Sgt lives in "Yidsley" in Leeds if I read the sub titles correctly, if I'm correct on that point it is not very likely for some-one who had a "bad time" in Palestine:confused:. After reviewing 4OD the location was Armley not Woodsley, although probably Armley in the 1950-60s would be more mixed than it is now -well different mix.

The tech is a bit abysmal -the Sten gun thing mentioned by "Ferretfixer" is really annoying -but I've had a long discussion with an Israeli weapons instructor with this regard- and couldn't convince him of the correct method of holding the thing -so it might be indemic in Israeli military culture going back to the period of the film under discussion but I doubt it as I've seen photos of Israeli terrorists holding Stens correctly, but then again who trained the Hagguna/Stern Gang/Irgun etc.

There is the use of a Ferret in the movie and I think the H/T has external rear tanks which is a late 1960s early 1970s mod. I think possibly better kit could have been used and definate need for better British military advisers -little things like inappropriate salutes and sloppy brasses etc, interchangabilty of weapons -one minute the sgt has a Mk2 Sten -shortly after he has swapped it for a Mk4 .303 and his Sten ends up with a broken/bent shoulder plate in part3.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
correction in italics