another reflector question

If it only had the standard rear reflector when it was in service and thats what you want you're vehicle to look like leave it at that. If you think its safer to fit them bugger everyone else and fit em.

MOT wise if it needs them then on the side to pass the MOT its a done deal you haven't got much choice. Ask the person who does the MOT if it needs them (age related).

It's a length thing.

Side reflectors were / are a legal requirement on vehicles and trailers over a certain length.

Not sure that would pan out if that requirement has been introduced since it was made, but a DUKW, for example had side reflectors because they were a legal requirement in the US when it was made.

According to the VOSA manual, any vehicle built before April 1986 and over 8m long requires side reflectors. For anything built after 1986 the length is cut down to 6m. However it does not say how many or what sort of spacing or positioning they should have. Any trailer over 5m long also needs them. Hope this helps

Yes you need them, have a look here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

Schedule 1 table 1

On another note regarding side marker lights, if they are within a meter of the rear of the vehicle they can be coloured red instead of amber, very handy on the back of a long trailer or truck, helps you see where the rear end is in the dark / rain.

Do i need to fit those yellow side marker reflectors on my Scammell? They were fitted at some point in the past as there were remains of them when i stripped it. not sure it had them when new.

Yes you need them, have a look here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

Schedule 1 table 1

On another note regarding side marker lights, if they are within a meter of the rear of the vehicle they can be coloured red instead of amber, very handy on the back of a long trailer or truck, helps you see where the rear end is in the dark / rain.

I am sure they were not fitted when new and looking at that link you don't need them, as your Explorer was first used before 1986 and is less than 8 meters. Up to you if you fit them or not.

I am sure they were not fitted when new and looking at that link you don't need them, as your Explorer was first used before 1986 and is less than 8 meters. Up to you if you fit them or not.

This is correct, same as you don't need rear fogs, wipers or screen washers (opening windscreen) and a whole host of legislation that applies to new vehicles. The majority of laws introduced over the years do not require retrofit from the time they were introduced. Flashing indicators is the exception I believe

Reg 18 and Schedules 1 and 17 Road vehicles Lighting regs 1989.

Motor vehicle first used before 1.4.1986 or trailer first use pre 1. 10 1985 require two side reflectors per side only.

Rearmost side reflector must be a maximum of 1000mm from the rear of the vehicle, at a height between 350mm and 1500mm.

The other side reflector must be towards centre of vehicle.

All side Reflectors must have approval marks, and be Amber although the rearmost reflector (if within 1000mm of rear of vehicle) can be red.

Reflectors must be vertical, face squarely to the side, and cannot be triangular.

Exempted from these requirements:-

Vehicles whose speed does not exceed 25MPH.

Goods Vehicle length not exceeding 6m and first used on or after 1.4 1986 or length not exceeding 8m and first used before 1.4.86

Passenger vehicles

Incomplete vehicles for completion storage or display

Excavator (special Types)

Mobile Crane/ Engineering Plant.

It is open to argument if an Explorer is a goods vehicle. Only goods vehicles pre April 86 are excepted. If it is a Locomotive, or a recovery vehicle it may not be excepted.

Edited by antarmike