Leyland 690 turbo

Its dead its blown into the engine valve gear as well as out of the engine so

priced lockstitch will be more to repair than its worth

yes i want a spankin but when its parked up in a shed you sometimes forget about these things when i found it i actually was going to drop water that visit no one could be more gutted than me that 690 had done nothing never smoked grumbled or lost power it was truely awsome:-(:-(

yes very easy to forget m8

slipped a jcb loading shovel 680 in it as a temp measure, but i now realise how good the 690 was

the martian we got has a tl11 in it, and that goes well maybe go that way or if our kid gets into gear and finishes his l10 conversion i may go that way

who knows just thought it was worth a shot askin on here

ieven looked at a 400hp cat engine for the martian which would give me a spare tl11 for the explorer but dont fancy fly by wire throttle but it did sound nice

whatever i get it WILL BE RUNNING WITH ANTI FREEZE:cry:

Dont know if its true but was told early Scania 110 engines were licence built Leyland 680s with a turbo on even down to imperial sizes. Having said that 110 engines are thin on the ground now

Edited by cosrec

Dont know if its true but was told early Scania 110 engines were licence built Leyland 680s with a turbo on even down to imperial sizes. Having said that 110 engines are thin on the ground now

Although it may be true I haven't heard it before, however Daf used the Leyland 680 and modified it over the years.

Its dead its blown into the engine valve gear as well as out of the engine so

priced lockstitch will be more to repair than its worth

yes i want a spankin but when its parked up in a shed you sometimes forget about these things when i found it i actually was going to drop water that visit no one could be more gutted than me that 690 had done nothing never smoked grumbled or lost power it was truely awsome:-(:-(

I know where there's a 'CRACKING' 690 turbo... not to far away from you either!:cool2:

I know where there's a 'CRACKING' 690 turbo... not to far away from you either!:cool2:

Oh, sorry... I forgot it's yours! Aaahh well at least you got a trip to flookburgh and back in it...:D It was too fast for you anyway- I'll have more chance of keeping up with you now you've installed 'old smokey'. LOL

P.S. Don't forget your can of easy start for those cold mornings!!!:nut:

Although it may be true I haven't heard it before, however Daf used the Leyland 680 and modified it over the years.

yes forgot about Daf the 2800 engine was based on the 680 with a turbo same again hard to find though most went years ago to Africa still fetch good money for export

Just live with it Chris! Your brother will leave you in a cloud of dust with his cummins L10 250hp conversion anyway. Unless you intend on travelling further afield- i.e; pickering, ect..... just leave 'Old smokey' plodding on!

yes forgot about Daf the 2800 engine was based on the 680 with a turbo same again hard to find though most went years ago to Africa still fetch good money for export

The 2300 and 2500 were also 680 based and as you say were popular for African export but then Africa went on to Mercs in a big way and the 2500 and 2800 V8 naturally aspirated engines were in huge demand. These were just over 14 litres, not a lot of top end but massive torque, if it would fit I would have thought one of these would be ideal as a replacement.

The 2300 and 2500 were also 680 based and as you say were popular for African export but then Africa went on to Mercs in a big way and the 2500 and 2800 V8 naturally aspirated engines were in huge demand. These were just over 14 litres, not a lot of top end but massive torque, if it would fit I would have thought one of these would be ideal as a replacement.

I am relaying info whispered into my ear from someone half my age (my younger son) who buys and sells trucks for export in a small way. He tells me there is still a market for 680 engines as long as they are complete with no holes in them big enough to put your head in

I am relaying info whispered into my ear from someone half my age (my younger son) who buys and sells trucks for export in a small way. He tells me there is still a market for 680 engines as long as they are complete with no holes in them big enough to put your head in

i thought they were off export now ?

still going to try to get one though

• 6 months later...
still looking for a 690 someone must know where there is one out there!!!:yawn:

I dont know what a 690 turbo looks like, but most likely it will be Garret or Holset unit, generic item runnning at different boost pressure depending on the application.

As they say down at the local parts place, "Any numbers off the old unit?"

We have quite a number of old turbos at our place that have been removed from buses over the years, many from Leylands and quite a few DAFs. All good second hand units we might have a compatible one. If you can get us a make and assembly number etc I'll have a look

• 1 month later...

Just to comment on the Scania 110 connection: When I did my Scania factory training in Sweden, we did a lot of chatting with the training guys, and the history of the company was laid out for us. SAAB-Scania as it was then was preceeded by Scania and Vabis, two apparently separate companies that formed Scania-Vabis.

There is a lot of design commonality between the 680 and the DS11, but if you go back to the earlier DS/D

engines, they do lose a bit of the connection, and I believe that while some design cues came from the 680, it was not copied for the DS11/D11.

I had a 680 turbo to look after in my next job, that was on a generator, 100kW DC 110V for film & TV lighting. Yes it was similar to the DS11 but a lot different in other ways.

I believe that the 690 was a separate design to the 680 Turbo, which was a bit of a wierdo and always a hassle to get parts for.

Peter