Weaponology TV series - andAPC's

ArtistsRifles

Was channel hopping on the box the other day and saw one of the "Weaponology" series listed. A quick hit of the info button showed it to be about the evolution of APC's so I recorded it to watch at a later fate. Finally saw it today and it was an interesting program.

I am not sure whether a Jeep or CCKW/DUKW with a .30 or .50 cal mounted constitutes an APC although I am sure there will now be some healthy debate over this - the program makers seemed to think so though. So as such there was some interesting info on the development of the Jeep.

What was of particular interest to me was the firstly the point made that, as yet no one seems to have overcome the problems first encountered with the proposed Mk IX tank in WW1 that was to carry a section of Infantry behind the tanks to secure the over-run position - that of the troops being nauseous and disorientated after a period of travel to the point where they were severely reduced in fighting ability. The program experts said even the Bradleys of the US army still have this problem at times.

The other point was where they introduced the BMP-1 - in their words "the Russian terror".... They emphasized the fact it was the first purpose designed IFV as opposed to APC - designed around the intent of the troops fighting from within and not de-bussing.. And then promptly lost sight of this when talking about the new gen IFV's that basically are APC's with a turret on top and no provision for the troops to fight from inside the vehicle. So really just up armoured and armed APC's not true IFV's.......

As said it was an interesting program though with good footage of all types of vehicles, wheeled, tracked and half-tracked of all era's so well worth watching if you ever get the chance!!

I didn't the weaponology programme you mention The shortlived 1950 M44 had 8 firing ports, but IMO the first true IFV was the PBV301 which entered service in 1963. about 3 years before the BMP entered service. This Swedish conversion of the Str41 tank was intended to serve as a fighting APC

PBV301 had twin weapons ports in the rear exit doors but only protected hatches in the roof in that the hatch folded out to act as a shield. It had an interesting 20mm cannon system which was to be fitted to the S tank.

Steve