37 pattern Thompson Pouches

chevpol

A friend of mine bought a pair of these as "SOE Sten pouches" or other such nonsense.

Having looked into them extensively I can tell you they are not British, not WW2, not for a Sten and probably not for a Thompson either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the moral is don't trust eBay sellers! (That said, I do sell on eBay and am always honest - annoying though as that isn't the way to make money).

A very good source has these as most probably being Portugese. Apparently there was some Euro country making a copy of the Sterling that was used by the Portugese army and these were the pouches.

I think if you are a collector of anything you do take chances with some of your buys, just in case.

If if they turn out to be from a different era or in this case a different country they still have intrest. The sad part of it is if you are totally decieved and lost a great deal of money.

Still intresting pouches. All you want now is a EU copy Sterling.:cool2:

Believe post war for a foriegn contract. Not actually aware of a specific pouch for the thompson mags. Sten did not originally have a mag pouch, just the basic issue.

What i have seen but do not have is a british issue tin case for thompson magazines, 20 rnd only.

Regards

Tim

Yep, there was a drum mag pouch.

Only really ever issued to the USMC.

Not generally used as the drum mag was rejected very early in the war due to weight and jamming problems

I have the memoires of a 43rd Recce who specifically mentiones having a Drum magazine on his Armoured cars Brengun.

When he tried to fire it in anger in Nornandy it misfired, presumably a weak spring so he replaced by a normal magazine and fired the Beren.

I have the memoires of a 43rd Recce who specifically mentions having a Drum magazine on his Armoured cars Bren gun.

When he tried to fire it in anger in Nornandy it misfired, presumably a weak spring so he replaced by a normal magazine and fired the Bren.

I've seen photos of Humber Recce cars with Brens on top with drum magazines.

There is an example of a Bren Drum mag in the National Army Museum in Chelsea in the Dunkirk diorama scene. I beleive the drums came 2 in a wooden box.