Chevy roof lining fitting

R Cubed

Thanks Martin,

that helps loads. I think it will still be an awkward job getting the two new lining sections into place, but at least I have all the trim pieces to keep them in place

At some stage I'm going to have to do this job on two Dodge cabs. I have toyed with the idea of using a wall paper stripper and trying to gently steam the board into the corners, the problem I suspect is that the board may start to delaminate. Might be worth trying with some old packing material to see if the concept works perhaps working from the rear of the board flat on the floor to soften it then easing into place in the cab with a small wall paper seam roller....a two man job me thinks.

Pete

Hello Hanno and Pete,

I have tried steaming with some success , but only getting a single bend. I'm hoping to avoid creasing the fiberboard when creating a compond curve, but looking at Martin's interior pic, maybe it isnt as pronounced a compound curve as I imagined. An attempt this weekend is needed!

Hello Hanno and Pete,

I have tried steaming with some success , but only getting a single bend. I'm hoping to avoid creasing the fiberboard when creating a compond curve, but looking at Martin's interior pic, maybe it isnt as pronounced a compound curve as I imagined. An attempt this weekend is needed!

I don't think that you need to follow the shape of the roof too slavishly - a gentle curve will suffice!

Hello all,

second attempt up at the shed yesterday, this time success!

Managed to get one out of the two sections up and in place, with the help of a mate (Pete, as you say, it's certainly a two man job).

What surprised me was that it doesnt seem to be a compound curve at all, which makes life a whole lot easier.

I tried to post some pics of the process, but couldnt upload them, in summary gentle steaming at each end with a kettle with the lid wedged open worked well. I made sure the surface going in first was painted to avoid sucking up damp when in place

Edited by G506