Looking for Home Front Pictures for a Model Project

Jessie The Jeep

In the new year I'll be starting to build a large model railway for a customer. It is set in Britain during WW2.

To help give a wartime feel to the layout, I am looking for photos of typical English wartime scenes. The model will be N scale ( 1/160 ), so figures are only 10 to 12mm tall, therefore photos of people aren't really suitable as they are too small to model in any detail. What I'm looking for is more general scenes such as bomb damaged houses, road blocks, check points, pill boxes, wartime posters etc.

Thanks

There must be loads of pictures from the time in all the books on the subject, its just a case of trawling through them. I'll have a look through my pile and see if I can find any. Another source might be film archives. i know Yorkshire Film Archive is accessible for free online and has some good home front wartime stuff. It also has internal links to other films of similar items. For example take a look at the film in this thread I posted some time back.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?20656-Yorkshire-Film-Archive-Hunshelf-AAA-gun-site&highlight=hunshelf+gun+aaa

From memory it has references to other films by other makers in the same area at the same time. YFA also has some good footage of the aftermath of the Sheffield Blitz so maybe that might be of use?

go look on ,picturesheffield.com , council library pics select world war 11 and brouse there are around 600 pics to look at demolished houses and trams ect , i found it intresting because i live there , didnt realise how bad we got it germans called it operation crucible . :-)