Made in Birmingham ???

holte999

I am trying to compile a list of vehicles,planes made in Birmingham during WW2, I am aware of the Spitfire in Castle Bromwich and the Lancaster in Longbridge but have little other info. I am sure that many of you will be able to help me out.

Regards Stewart

Stewart a book well worth getting is "Calling All Arms" by Ernest Fairfax 1946. It is the story of the industrial effort during the 6 years of war. Of the various topics covered there are separate chapters each for Birmingham, Coventry & Oxford.

I'll just skim through the Birmingham chapter, there is a lot of moral boosting chat & commentary. So here are some notes:

SU Carburetter Co - all aero-carbs for Spits & Hurricanes made here. First company to employ blind inspectors,"jobs were found even for blind people from institutions" "Unskilled women workers were brought in". SU made 5 different types of aero-carbs for all RR Merlin, Vulture & Perigrine & Napier Sabre & Dagger engines which powered the great majority of RAF wartime planes from fighters to bombers. In 1941 production increased with a shadow factory in the Wharfe Valley, Yorkshire.

Morris Commercial wide range of B vehicles. May 1944 Neptune

Sister co. Nuffield Mechanisations built more than 14,000 Universal Carriers. Also Nuffield Cruiser tank

Wolseley before war making 350 cars a week with 2,000 workers. Start of war half were sacked, rest worked on munitions eg machining 4" shells for Admiralty. 1940 hundreds of second hand cars were being cut up & converted into ambulances. Weekly made 150 tons of precision parts for Cruiser tanks. 2,800 tons of manufactured war materials per week. In 1941 factory suffered severe bombing one young man was killed by a bomb whilst trying to save important design drawings from a burning building. Both Monty's famous caravan were refurbished after the desert campaigns.

Lots of pictures well worth a read.