Slave cable polarity

robin craig

Question

Gents and Gals,

I'm making up a slave cable with interchangeable ends with a quick disconnect. The purpose is to start some British MVs arriving soon (hint, hint). I need to be able to use spring loaded clips onto a civvy 24v vehicle or pack and also slave the two between each other once off the vessel.

My need is to know which of the inner or outer connections in the head shown below is the positive and which is negative so my new connections are right.

Im sure there is a simple way to know but my tiny pea brain is somewhat befuddled!

Anyone know please?

R

slave cable.jpg

7 answers to this question

Gents and Gals,

I'm making up a slave cable with interchangeable ends with a quick disconnect. The purpose is to start some British MVs arriving soon (hint, hint). I need to be able to use spring loaded clips onto a civvy 24v vehicle or pack and also slave the two between each other once off the vessel.

My need is to know which of the inner or outer connections in the head shown below is the positive and which is negative so my new connections are right.

Im sure there is a simple way to know but my tiny pea brain is somewhat befuddled!

Anyone know please?

R

Obvious really, as the systems are Negative Earth, then the outer part of the socket is Negative, the centre being the live Positive.

Richard,

I dont doubt your reply, as I am in awe of your knowledge, as always.

Can you explain how that is so obvious, so I can understand the convention of what you know.

R

Robin,

If you look at the socket on the vehicle, with the protection cap removed, the outer sleeve is a contact surface, if this were live it could easily be shorted out, live (+POS) being the internal contact. I would have used these leads many hundreds of times over the years!

If in doubt, just do a continuity test with a meter and you will see.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Gents and Gals,

This is presumably relevant to the recent confusing discussion about British AFVs in "Southampton"? ;)

Andy