Croft Circuit Nostalgia Weekend - August 5th to 7th 2011 DATE CONFIRMED

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only take (any) credit for the cr4p ones. For some reason, we seem to have acquired three photogrpahers now, two of which are professionals - the definition of which seems to be that they can take good photographs, but actually getting any of them out of the camera takes for ever! We are still waiting for some of the Heckmondwike photographs to be chiselled out of some memory cards!

Ken

Friday 5th was busy all day with race teams, military vehicles, re-enactors and classic cars arriving and setting up camp. Mike and Maurice ( seen below ), organised all the vehicle entries. They worked hard all weekend, allocating display space, ferrying people around and trying to solve participants problems, sometimes without much help or thanks. Thanks must also go to the circuit owner and management team for providing a great venue and organising all the hidden support such as security, marshalling, toilets, food stalls etc.

Despite the weather forecast, spirits were high for an enjoyable weekend, and people were having fun meeting up with old friends. The beautiful evening sunset disguised the weather to come the following day.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Blue skies, sunny, warm, were all words that would evaporate away on Friday evening and be long forgotten on Saturday morning. As with any out door event in the UK, we were at the mercy of the weather, and unfortunately, the thunder storm that made a number of passes over Croft for several hours, messed up several aspects of the planned programme.

So to start with, apologies. The low cloud ceiling and heavy rain meant that we unfortunately missed out on the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane and Spitfire. The organising team were thrilled to have the BBMF confirm attendance several months ago, and were very disappointed that the plans were being washed away minute by minute.

Understandably, the RAF take great care to protect these national treasures, and the conditions at Croft and around the rest of the country made it impossible to safely bring the aircraft to display.

While the rain cleared up on Sunday, the volume of water and ground conditions still continued to cause problems. On Saturday evening, it looked like the parade laps would have to be cancelled because of the risk of vehicles carrying large quantities of mud onto the track. The ground and track had dried out to some degree on Sunday morning, allowing the parade laps to go ahead. However the circuit manager considered it too risky to have the halftrack and Chaffee tank churning up mud in the start/finish field and bringing it back across the track at the fast corner at the end of the straight. So sadly, we didn't get our rolling armour or firing displays.

Yet another casualty was the Jet Provost flying display. By the time the weather cleared enough for take off, there wasn't sufficient time to transit to Croft and perform the display before racing began, and there is a no flying rule while racing is under way for safely reasons.

It wasn't just the flying that suffered. Racing was stopped for several hours for safety reasons, and once the rain did stop, the qualifying continued into the evening, trying to make up for lost time.

8.jpg

9.jpg

17.jpg

One shot taken during the parade lap. There were one or two people who didn't understand the word parade, and instead thought it meant race. They were quickly reprimanded for their actions. We are all guests of the circuit owner, and a little consideration shouldn't be too much to ask from those taking part in the event. It is only the second event of its kind at Croft, and we are still in a learning curve. The event will be studied over the following months to hopefully enable it to grow and become a better experience for participants and public alike.

Sunday was by far the better day. While it wasn't tropical temperatures, it was dry and we even saw blue sky at times. The military display line stretched the length of the runway and the classic car field was virtually full. The damp track also provided plenty of thrills for the drivers and spectators alike, with several cars needing a little more work than a bit of buffing to remove the bumps and scratches.

15.jpg

16.jpg

One of the displays which didn't suffer as a result of the rain was the Griffon Aero Engine. This was run a number of times across the weekend, attracting large crowds, and between engine runs, the safety rope was lowered allowing people a close look at this amazing piece of engineering.

12.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

Croft Nostalgia 2011, despite the weather, was a great event. The rain undoubtedly will have affected gate numbers, although on Sunday, there were still large numbers of people to be seen around the site. There will always be ways to improve the experience, and we are open to genuine constructive critisism. It seems common for people to complain anonymously via forums and Facebook etc, but if the organising team aren't told of issues, they can't be addressed.

If you have suggestions for attractions or ways to improve the show for 2012, then please do contact us at the following email address, and we will do our best. If you work in the MET office, we would consider setting aside a budget to guarantee good weather for 2012!!

Mike@croftmilitary.co.uk

Hi Steve,

As i was one of the guilty overtaker's on the track,i have too say the way we where (reprimanded) was a joke.In as far too say the way we were spoken too in the public eye & having our names wrote down on paper alittle over the top maybe!!.I believe this should have been delt with alot better lastly this was my first time at Croft along with three other vehicle owner's all of us came to the same conclusion.It would have been nice if someone on your team made an effort to greet us.I believe it's the little touches that make a great show.Regarding the re-enactment group complaining, again at most shows i attend the re-enactment group's book in & have space allocated to them due to the size of their display.You may want to also consider this.As for other idea's/ attraction's give me a bell & i'd be happy to help. All in all it was a good show.

cheer's

stu

Regarding names taken etc. We are running the military side of things, but the final responsibility and decisions regarding the event rest with the circuit manager. Where there were issues, we had to pass on details to her, and she will decide if the issues were minor, lack of communication or whether some people should be barred from the event in future.

I believe that one Champ owner was reprimanded for driving the circuit fast in reverse, simply because the Champ gearbox is able to do that. Someone raced past Mike at the front of the convoy. I don't know who they were, and as far as my involvement goes, I don't care. I only run the website. I'm not on the show committee.

Mike spent most of Friday racing up and down the runway showing people where to set up, and had some helpers, but he couldn't be everywhere.

When re-enactors/vehicle owners booked in with plenty of time, we did ask them for any specific display requirements, ie Ken's display requiring about three tennis courts. Entries at the last minute and those that applied after the official closure date couldn't be guarenteed the space or location they may have wanted.

It was only the second show, and the team is still learning. Chances are, there won't be parade laps in future, but some other attraction during the Sunday morning 'Quiet Time'.

Some good pics there, looked like you had a good time.

So how many cars span off on the oil dropped on the circuit during the parade lap?

I also agree that real race cars have doors, even if they are welded shut.

Mike

Hi Steve,

I was just making a constructive critisium.I'm in a unique position as been one of the main organiser's of the Ponderosa show,so i know first hand just how hard it is to please everyone.The bottom line is you don't have to speak to people in that mannor & especially in front of joe public,especially if you want them to attend next year.It's a small world & the guy in question can put on an even bigger impressive display as he does at Ponda.Regarding greeting owner's,127 vehicles attended Ponda along with 28 re-enactment groups all of which was greeted by either myself or another organiser.I feel that greeting people in person is an essential part of running a show.

Stu

Fair enough, but the future of the track is very delicate following a noise issue and court case which the circuit lost. The circuit officials don't want anything happening which may put the circuit's future in danger, which is perhaps why to clowning around on the track was delt with in what appeared to be a heavy handed manor.

Mike and Maurice were at the circuit from stupid O'clock each day, but did have to go home late evening. The circuit's own security were briefed to meet those arriving late and direct them to where they needed to be. Perhaps that didn't work as well as it should. They were on duty well after most had long gone to bed, so there was always someone available to let late arrivals in, even if it wasn't able to be one of the committee.

Mike will be passing comments on to the committee at the next meeting so they can plan ahead for 2012.

There were around 600 entries to the event split between classic cars, military vehicles and re-enactor groups ( but excluding the racing competitors ). For our second event, we are very pleased with the support, but getting that many vehicles plus the racing teams sorted is a major task that we are still learning to deal with.

Think you and us were the last of the green lot to leave ,the small wall is in the conservatory(that went down well!) just to make sure its dry !

can you mail me the pic of us puttin the tank away, can't seem to download it off here .

xxx

Edited by whistlinwolf

I received the following interesting email tonight.

"Hi Stephen

Norman Kirby here from the Washington History Society,

I attended the Croft Nostalgia weekend in an official way (Track Marshal), and I have read on the hmvf.co.uk website forum that some people don’t understand the reason why they were reprimanded for over taking on the parade lap, well its due to safety reasons there were no marshals present for the parade lap- as it was supposed to be just what it said “parade” and over taking is not part of a parade, we as marshals take our roll very seriously, and as we were not on post at that time it meant that if there were any accident due to careless driving we were not there to assist, I am sending you this as I am not a member of the hmvf.co.uk forum, and hope that you can pass this on to those responsible

Thanks

Norman Kirby"