Meters Required For a Genny Restoration

Some time back we bought an old Petters PU8 generator, 3kW at 110V, and got it sorted out, repaired the controls and metering and eventually it went to a museum in Holland. It weighed over half a ton, but was fully operational when we sold it.

Since then, we still have a few of the engines and recently the generator end for one of these sets became available, so we bought it, as you do :D

We need another pair of 1mA panel meters to get the control box working.

Picture of the old one before refurbing is here:

PU817.jpg

Meter pictures after refurbishment:

PU8VoltsFinished.jpg

PU8ampsFinished.jpg

Refurbed control box:

PU8No9.jpg

I'll sort out some body diameters, but the panel they fit to is 1/2" paxolin so not easily modified.

If anyone has a couple or even one that would be suitable (subject to sizes) please drop me a PM or email.

We have the scales scanned from the last one, so they haven't got to be exactly the same scales.

Peter

Edited by listerdiesel

A superb job on the instrument restoration. Did you do them yourselves? I have PE 195 genset and the instruments need a refurbishment.

John Gott

Hi John:

Yes, we got hold of two replacements as the originals were full of water and rotted away.

We scanned the old scales, then 'repaired' them using PaintShop Pro, printed them out on an HP mini inkjet photoprinter then stuck the scales to the backs of the 'new' meters.

We also did some for our Ruston & Hornsby control panel in the same way.

Peter

PU8Volts.jpg

PU8VoltsOriginal.jpg

Edited by listerdiesel

can you post the meter dimentions and i will have a look among my geny bits.youst to have a PU8 lovely engine just very thirsty, one of those things you part with then regret .

We have four or five kicking around the place.....

Meter sizes:

Body 3.5" diameter

Flange 4.25" diameter

Peter

Just wondered if anyone could help me find a pair of volt and amp meters for my Tilling Stevens and 90 cm searchlight. Also the oblong ally box which holds them. It does not matter if they work or not , as I can get them repaired. They are made by Elliott the volts go upto 150 DC and the amp meter to 200.

DSCF3717.JPG

DSCF3716.JPG

DSCF3718.JPG

Found them stashed away :) We have two of each. Body cutout approx 2.5", flange 3.25".

Stone

We would be interested if you have no use for them yourself?

Body is slightly smaller, but we have yet another project coming along.....

Peter

PS: We're stacked out with work at the factory for a change, so forum activity is a bit curtailed.

• 3 weeks later...