Over Exposed

No Signals

On 3rd November 1948 the photographic reconnaissance B29 44-61999 ‘Over Exposed’ ploughed in to a hillside at Higher Shelf Stones on Bleaklow, above Glossop. The plane was on a routine training mission from Scampton to Burtonwood and was probably descending through the cloud to verify its position. What is notable about the craft is that it had formerly been attached to the 509th Composite Group, 315th (Very Heavy) Bombardment Wing, 393rd (Very Heavy) Bombardment Squadron (atomic bomb unit) and could well be the platform from which some of the footage of the Japan raids was filmed.

All thirteen crew members on board were killed.

Although now well picked over, substantial bits still remain to be seen on the site.

Here a some pics taken on a similar cloudy day some years back.

MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-006S.JPG

I remember seeing this back in the late 60's, on one of our family forced-marches in Derbyshire. Is it near a Roman Road? I'm sure we walked along that before heading off across the moors. I've got a bit of it somewhere, IIRC, an anodised blue ribbed tube, with four outlets on it.

I remember seeing this back in the late 60's, on one of our family forced-marches in Derbyshire. Is it near a Roman Road? I'm sure we walked along that before heading off across the moors. I've got a bit of it somewhere, IIRC, an anodised blue ribbed tube, with four outlets on it.

Not quite sure where it is but there are a lot of them up there including a Swordfish.

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/peakindex.htm

Mike