Has anyone done a V55/5 B4 to register an old Military Vehicle

There's a guide for BFG drivers here which you may find helpful.

For our vehicles (an RB44 and a Bedford MJ) I filled in the following:

Taxation Class (I knew what this was for ours, you may want to ask the DVLA)

Period of License (whether you pay for 6 or 12 months of tax)

Make

Model

Type of body / vehicle ('truck' is adequate)

Wheelplan (two axle rigid)

Colour

Length (from user manual)

Unladen weight

Seating Capacity

Technical permissable maximum trailer mass (from VIN plate, train weight - revenue weight)

Width

Revenue weight (from VIN plate)

Date of Original Registration (use the MVT info, or a Form 654 if you have one)

Type of fuel (heavy oil = diesel)

VIN number

Cylinder capacity

Year of Manufacture

Then just sign and date the declaration in the bottom bit. You don't need to fill in all the boxes, and if you leave one blank the DVLA will help you fill it in anyway, so don't worry about it too much :)

Stone

I have just done one. The instruction over the counter on the day was "Fill in what you can and leave the rest". There were more empty boxes than full ones when I had filled in what I could and the form was scarcely looked at.

Certainly no problem for me - or was I lucky?

Certainly no problem for me - or was I lucky?

Not from my experience. As long as you're not trying to obviously game the system they've been very helpful.

The only problem I had with ours was the insurance certificate - it covers any vehicles owned / leased / rented by the company, so in addition I had to prove that the company owned the vehicle to render the insurance valid. Otherwise it was all fairly smooth...?

Stone

Well went this morning and sorted the forms. took 20 minutes.

They did advise that it may need to be inspected....standard statement she said. I did refer her to the verification letter and inspection carried out by MVT and the letter addressed to the DVLA by MVT that she attached to the forms.

I am guessing it shouldn't need a seperate inspection.

Edited by Rover8FFR
Typo

Hi Rover8FFR.

If your MV has been inspected by a nominated person from the MVT and the person that carried out the verification is satisfied beyond all doubt that the engine and chassis numbers are correct and apply to the vehicle being inspected he will fill in a verification form with all the details as seen. He may ask (I do) if there are any reciepts applicable to the vehicles purchase that have a chassis number on it that may be checked. (I'm not interested how much you paid.) The completed verification form with the inspectors comments will then be sent to the MVT Verification Officer. If he is satisfied that the vehicle is correct from the inspectors imformation a verification letter/certificate will be issued. No other inspection should be required as the DVLA accept the MVT verification document. If the person inspecting the vehicle does not feel that the vehicle is what he is being told it or appears to be he will inform the verification officer and the owner we be informed or a second opinion will be called. I know one nominated inspector who went to see a vehicle that turned out to be a rusty chassis a bulkhead a very corroded engine block and an axle! Needless to say it was was turned down. The owner might be perfectly legit' but there is always the chance in such circumstances that the vehicle remains are being used to legitimise something that has a very 'iffy' history. If you are not sure how to go about registering your vehicle then ring the MVT or Imps Verification Officer or the DVLA in Swansea. It is possible to speak to a human at the DVLA and not some automated system and they are very helpful.

Normal MVT charge is about 40p a mile plus any out of pocket expences.

A cup of tea with no sugar and two Hobnobs is nice.:-)

Phil

Hi Rover8FFR.

If your MV has been inspected by a nominated person from the MVT and the person that carried out the verification is satisfied beyond all doubt that the engine and chassis numbers are correct and apply to the vehicle being inspected he will fill in a verification form with all the details as seen. He may ask (I do) if there are any reciepts applicable to the vehicles purchase that have a chassis number on it that may be checked. (I'm not interested how much you paid.) The completed verification form with the inspectors comments will then be sent to the MVT Verification Officer. If he is satisfied that the vehicle is correct from the inspectors imformation a verification letter/certificate will be issued. No other inspection should be required as the DVLA accept the MVT verification document. If the person inspecting the vehicle does not feel that the vehicle is what he is being told it or appears to be he will inform the verification officer and the owner we be informed or a second opinion will be called. I know one nominated inspector who went to see a vehicle that turned out to be a rusty chassis a bulkhead a very corroded engine block and an axle! Needless to say it was was turned down. The owner might be perfectly legit' but there is always the chance in such circumstances that the vehicle remains are being used to legitimise something that has a very 'iffy' history. If you are not sure how to go about registering your vehicle then ring the MVT or Imps Verification Officer or the DVLA in Swansea. It is possible to speak to a human at the DVLA and not some automated system and they are very helpful.

Normal MVT charge is about 40p a mile plus any out of pocket expences.

A cup of tea with no sugar and two Hobnobs is nice.:-)

Phil

Phil

The independant MVT inspector has visited the vehicle and checked all the particulars regarding stampings, data plates, Chassis ID and he was satisfied. He completed his report and posted it to the MVT verification officer, namely Mr Terry Till. Mr Till then wrote to me with an attached letter addressed to the DVLA confirming that the vehicle and all details relating to it were genuine and that he confirmed the original year of manufacture for an age related registration.

This all accompanied the V55/5 and V112G along with my fee of £55.00

On the back of your reply I guess all the ducks were in a line and that the documents will now be forthcoming.

Regards

i got letter from imps verifying that ferret was what i said it was up to local dvla office filled in forms showed insurance etc , 2 weeks later man from the ministry came round had a look 2 weeks later docs came thru including v5 ,tax disc and letter enabling you to get no plates made up

I'm quite impressed they came to see you; when I was arguing with the DVLA over our MJ (the MOD Form 654 had a mistake in the chassis number) they told me to put it on a low loader so they could inspect it at the local office! I declined :cool2:

I guess they've changed their policy now then...

Stone

Seems to be different procedures in each Office - depends on how each "Clerk" interprets the rules, I suppose. I thought that the whole point of having the vehicle verified by an Authorised Club/Society was that no inspection would be necessary by the DVLA because it had all all been done for them!

When I did mine just 10 days ago, the MVT Verification was readily accepted and the Tax Disc and Numberplate authorisation form were given to me there and then. The V5C came through the post within 3 days.

Tony

Edited by Minesweeper
word missed out

I have also inspected vehicles on behalf of the MVT, prior to their being registered. Also have registered vehicles with a MVT verification letter. The inspector still calls, all he is interested in, is physically checking the engine and chassis numbers and then he is off to the next one. What the club verifiction scheme does do, is to date the manufacture of the vehicle, from records on their database and/or evidence on the vehicle. Without this letter, you would have to go through hoops with the licensing office to get a date of manufacture accepted. So, the clubs verify the date and DVLA inspector checks vehicle has correct numbers.

I have also inspected vehicles on behalf of the MVT, prior to their being registered. Also have registered vehicles with a MVT verification letter. The inspector still calls, all he is interested in, is physically checking the engine and chassis numbers and then he is off to the next one. What the club verifiction scheme does do, is to date the manufacture of the vehicle, from records on their database and/or evidence on the vehicle. Without this letter, you would have to go through hoops with the licensing office to get a date of manufacture accepted. So, the clubs verify the date and DVLA inspector checks vehicle has correct numbers.

As I mentioned earlier, I am sure that the various DVLA Offices interpret the rules differently. The numbers on the engine and on the chassis of the Dennis are very visible and in our case the MVT Inspector made a point of verifying them against the information that I had previously supplied to him with the proof of manufacturing dates. This confirmation was then contained in the Letter of Verification supplied by the MVT and accepted by the DVLA Office without further question.

Tony

I've always found I had to have a ministry oh sorry agency inspection. He was solely interested in the chassis & engine plates. When the Hornet was inspected he didn't bat an eyelid other than say he hadn't seen one before, but just needed to check it wasn't a stolen vehicle.

In my experience they only inspect if there isn't a paperwork trail - if there's a Form 654 and a reciept from Withams / MoD auction they're satisfied, even if it's ages old.

Our local office have always been happy to inspect at the VRO or where the vehicle is lying, but there's often a long wait for on site inspections so I've tended to take the mountain to Mohammed, as it were!

It must be a case of differant DVLA offices applying differant rules. I spoke to DVLA Swansea and they told me they accept the letter from the clubs verification officer be it MVT or Imps etc without further inspections, and that has been the case with the ones I have delt with in this area and when Terry Till (MVT) has issued a verification certificate. The DVLA said they require the completed form V55/5, the certification letter as to the age of the vehicle from an official of the club registered with the DVLA, an MOT certificate to prove the vehicle is road worthy to the Ministry of Transport regulations and an insurance document. The vehicle can be issued with a temporary insurance certificate to the chassis number. These documents can then be presented to a local DVLA office that deals with vehicle registrations.

If you contact Terry Till (MVT) to ask for a verification inspection send him photographs of the vehicle and the engine/chassis numbers so he can see the vehicle for himself.

As I said some offices must apply differant rules but I have only stated what the DVLA Swansea told me.

Phil