Wanted INFO! underground WW2 UK

paul connor

Do you know of any underground structures?

tunnels?

gun emplacements?

command stations?

We ( www.longforgotten.co.uk) are trying to find more places we can get our selves in and document before everything slowly gets lost!

can you help?

Anything of a sensitive nature please feel free to send me a private message:)

Anything of anysize would prove of interest:)

hope some on can help?

bunkers? pillbox chains? buried tanks? you name it we love it:)

hope you can all help:)

Paul (aka CON) and Andy (aka Tunnellad)

Ill be honest, that was more of a wind up with the UK comment!

Its acctually in Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic!

I recommend a trip there! as well as Prague! ita beatifull place! and very cheap!

and get a Bohemian meal! its the best food! and beer is 20p a pint in places!

I love Pauls site, and has been in my favourites way before HMVF was even thought of :schocked:

Would go through it whilst on the phone to someone who was boring me :evil: and used to think 'lucky git'! What a small world!

Paul, we will get some sort of article from you for the front page. :-D

I seem to remember when I was a kid, some of the oldtimers in Burmarsh talking about a bolthole near there where some home guard soldiers were supposed to hole up if there had been an invasion and wait until the Germans had passed before surfacing to create havoc until they were killed. Don't know exactly where it was but it might be a lead worth following.

John.

I know Subrit very well:) Nick Catford is a hero in this field for me... Tunnelrat is a member as well.

I think the hole you refer to is an "auxillary unit" where they would hide until the enemy passed then attack from the rear, i have been i a few. Shame as the people that served have only just been reconised!

• 2 weeks later...

Mini update to thread, we managed to locate a deepshelter for a gun battery which is located over the cliff edge, we tried to find it in the snow, but without much luck, we were in the right area but couldnt see it for the snow!! :roll:

There will be an update on the site in the next few days :-)

Yes I like all that secret stuff, just had a rebrouse of the site, mention of Orange Yeoman & Yellow River. I have a large trailer which was a simulator for Yellow River. A useful site for uncoding all those Ministry of Supply spectrum codes is:

http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/start.htm

There are a few errors but it is a diificult subject to cover.

BTW my nom de plume FV1620 was originally intended as an Orange William launcher rather than Malkara.

A couple of really good ones near Corsham, one dissused outside HMS Royal Arthur thats actually not all fenced off and one around corner from it with a complete hospital in it dating back to 1940s, this one will get you in big trouble if you try to access it.

There is another excellent one near Corsham, trouble is they control nuclear subs from that one! That would get you shot!

Keep up the good works

Iam lucky to live next door to the remains of RNCF holton heath a cordite and munitions factory dating from WW1 and used until mid 1950's have spent many happy hours exploring remains large amont under ground never found any thing on web though??

Regards Hardyferret