Falklands Conflict Display at Tanks, trucks & firepower 2011

there was a ex Argie G-Wagon at W&P this year (I didnt photograph it!!), it was there last year as well

Mark

If you go to my fotopic site, find last years W&P post war softskin, go to page showing 97-107 and you will see it, 2nd row down, 2nd from left

Regarding Land Rovers in the Falklands, I have just seen a picture in 'The Falklands War' by Marshall Cavendish that shows seven Land Rovers; LWB Hard Tops and what I think is at least one Lightweight stored on the walkway running along the side of the QE2, which set sail on 12th May 1982 with the 5th Inf Brigade (including the Gurkhas).

Only a small section is showing so I think the QE2 had more on the same walkway and no doubt the same number the other side.

There must have more ships with loads like this so Atlantic Conveyor cannot have been the only 'Land Rover transporter' for such vehicles that arrived before the surrender.

When QE2 got to South Georgia her cargo was passed to Canberra and Norland

Regarding Land Rovers in the Falklands, I have just seen a picture in 'The Falklands War' by Marshall Cavendish that shows seven Land Rovers; LWB Hard Tops and what I think is at least one Lightweight stored on the walkway running along the side of the QE2, which set sail on 12th May 1982 with the 5th Inf Brigade (including the Gurkhas).

I recollect being involved in fitting the Winterisation to a Lightweight which had to be on board QE2 the following day, so it seems it was not a tall story. Don't ask me what the VRN was, too long ago :embarrassed:

A RAF falklands veteran at work bought his pictures in for me

The RAF EOD blokes (whom he was a part) had a Bedford and two series 3 station wagons with red wings and rear quarter panels, he landed on red beach I believe when the war was on.

Also in the back ground of some of the pictures in Ajax bay where 101 ambulances, don't know how much they where used as most casevax was by air or foot.

Cheers

Alex

A RAF falklands veteran at work bought his pictures in for me

The RAF EOD blokes (whom he was a part) had a Bedford and two series 3 station wagons with red wings and rear quarter panels, he landed on red beach I believe when the war was on.

Also in the back ground of some of the pictures in Ajax bay where 101 ambulances, don't know how much they where used as most casevax was by air or foot.

Cheers

Alex

Tracing back the history on my 101 and it went over ,dont suppose you have got the picture of the 101's by any chance

• 4 weeks later...

We have had a couple of meetings for Tanks Trucks and Firepower Show and the revised entry forms for Vehicles, Re enactors, Stalls and public camping are virtually finished. I've been doing them this afternoon. The website should be fully running by this weekend, Grumpy is polishing it up right now. We would have had it sorted earlier but both of us were struck down by 'The Bug' over Christmas and we still have got a coughs like somebody tipping a load of gravel! Plus the hosting site that had got all the details ceased trading! How ******* useful is that?, so poor old Grumpy has had to do it all again. He's a good bloke you know. We will be doing the big push at Stoneliegh where entry forms will be available. The Alvis Fighting Vehicles Society and Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT will both have displays in the main hall so you can get them off us there. They will be on the website soon as well to down load.

I understand that there will be a big Falklands Display but we need to know how big. Please e mail to let me know how big because we are doing a rough plan of the field. I am the 'Soft Skin' arena co ordinator for the field this display will be in. Andrew Baker is co ordinator for the Armoured and Firepower display field. Any re enactment groups that want to put on a active display in the Soft Skin arena needs to let me know. If you want to do it on this Forum you can or e mail me direct on hippo1944@hotmail.com I will also have a show e mail address on the website which you can contact me on.

On the website will be other e mail addresses for the folks on the committee.

I will announce it on here the moment the website is up to speed or what ever it has to do. I'm an Engineer Jim .......... I thought software was like cushions and things! :-D

Phil & Grumpy Show Coordinaters

ref size for display, i will sit down tonight and do a rough plan of the layout, but it will be a 3 sided square layout with 2x cvrt's and a lynx(provoded by the alvis bods) a l/w ffr, and s3 109ffr, a 101 field ambulance and 9x9, 2x 12x12, another 9x9 and space for kit etc.

when are you guys going up for a site recce etc as we would like to tag along if poss? cheers darren

We are having regular meetings ref the show but we need an approximate areas so we can split up the field into Vehicle displays, Living History, Stalls etc. We are receiving enquiries from other groups who cover various periods from WW2 through Vietnam to Gulf War so we do need areas. When we have sorted a few other show details we can then have a site meeting where all the various groups will have some input.

Phil

Basic show website is up and running just a few pages and the remainder of last years gallery to finish. Have a look here:

tankstrucksandfirepower.co.uk

Haven’t played with html before so it’s been a steep learning curve to say the least, but we are nearly there now. Please post any comments or improvements about the web site, but remember it’s my first attempt so nothing too complicated please.

You will be able to download all the booking in forms by the end of this week, and will be able to book vehicles in online from the 1st of Feb; I’ll keep you informed via this thread.