Wrecks at Bovy....

Jack

I think I'd rather have seen the tank museums money go on restoring or at least preserving some of these wrecks than the fancy new frontage to the building.

Even a simple canopy over them and removing the plant growth would help slow the deterioration.

Pzkpfw-e

It's a Cavalier, if that makes any difference?

Possibly the relative turret position is the same as it was when I last saw it but its not possible to diffentiate from the turret alone although the odd Centaur had a turret without pistol ports-however I thought Adrian said the Cavalier turret was used on the Centaur IV exhibit that went to the continent,- or was it the one off Centaur "Yellow Mike"?:confused:

Anyway I think eddy was using the generic term -and initally all A24-A27L and A27M were Cromwells, but since you ask the A24 and A27 were quite different -different suspension spacing and components hull floor differences- hence it would be impossible to convert an "A hull" Centaur to a Cavalier even cosmetically. In the engine/transmission bays the cooling and transmission/steering details are very different, much more akin to the A15 Crusader for obvious reasons as Nuffield manufactured both.

And eddy thou shall not covet your neighbours "Cromwell turret" - I know you probably fancy a second turret.:cool2:

Steve

I think I'd rather have seen the tank museums money go on restoring or at least preserving some of these wrecks than the fancy new frontage to the building.

Even a simple canopy over them and removing the plant growth would help slow the deterioration.

Or spending ££££ on a Tiger that rarely runs?

jch

They had the Tiger taped off and bits and pieces all over the place. Personally I would love to see one of the 'Landships' run.

Yes jack it would be good to see one of the landships run but this will unlikely happen due to there age. The museum had an expert in metals look at the MK5 (I think)and the result is that if run it will cause unrepairable damage to it. I am not sure if any of the others run, but I dont think we will see any of them run again.

Al

Big Al

The museum had an expert in metals look at the MK5 (I think)and the result is that if run it will cause unrepairable damage to it.

More a case of any repairs would mean the tank was no longer original as the lower side plates would have to be completely replaced- it's too brittle to weld. From what I heard the metal around the road wheels (rollers) is cracking up - comparatively thin metal and no suspension to reduce the shock and possibly poor quality metal all add to the problem. The same brittleness is also visible in the rhombiods in Ukraine so not unique to Bovington, however it would be interesting to see if the none service vehicles like the International and the Mk9 carrier are similarly deteriorated.

Steve